1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
the first and last ones listed are the same part number in the description.. so they are the same muffler, I personally like the looks of the second one.. never heard either on our bike so wouldn't know sound quality.

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Same muffs I run on mine CW, but I drilled a 3/8" hole in the left baffle to equalize pressure better. Most used Sporty muffs have had the baffles removed. I dug around until I found a set with em...sounds like a louder BMW now, lol.

And Tofer, more than likely the first and last "ears" will mount up to the existing hanger holes (I made 2 short hanger extentions for mine to make em level). You can see it in the enclosed pic. Other side a hair shorter.

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im looking for louder than stock but cheaper than 300 v&h or cobras as i think putting that much money in pipes for my bike is not cost effective

·
Super Moderator
11,832 Posts
im looking for louder than stock but cheaper than 300 v&h or cobras as i think putting that much money in pipes for my bike is not cost effective
Remove the goats belly. Louder than stock and cheaper than any aftermarket system. Look for bypass kit at Scootworks.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Again I don't recommend chopping up the stock system, it puts you in unknown territory, and may not be tunable throughout the usable rpm range. IMO a complete aftermarket exhaust is the only way to go. I had to rejet for one, but it ran fine. Only problem I had with it was the noise on the highway, but it was so bad I finally went back to the complete stock system. I sold a nearly brand new V&H Cruzers system for under $200. I'd look on eBay and Craigslist for a used aftermarket system designed for the Vulcan 750.

Unlike some cruisers with a 5000 rpm redline, the Vulcan 750 has a highly tuned engine that does not like to be messed with. It is more like a sportbike engine than a typical cruiser. I don't see anyone putting Harley mufflers on their sportbikes.

·
2,506 Posts
Remove the goats belly. Louder than stock and cheaper than any aftermarket system. Look for bypass kit at Scootworks.
X2 on removing the goats belly, sounds a lot better than stock and you could always put it back if you don't like it. I feel no power loss and you won't need to rejet it.

·
Steve
71 Posts
I have fat boy pipes on mine. With the baffles taken out they sound great and the motor revs out freely. I also havea set with baffles in , and they are too quiet, and the engine lacks some power. The fat boy pipes are cheap/

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Being an old fart, I like quiet nowadays :D ...I paid $20 for my Snortsters...WITH Harley clamps and even the header pipes....I would have put on Streetglide pipes (got em for $30), and they were even quieter, but was too much of a hassle to mount (came flush with rear of bike, looked sweet too).

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have fat boy pipes on mine. With the baffles taken out they sound great and the motor revs out freely. I also havea set with baffles in , and they are too quiet, and the engine lacks some power. The fat boy pipes are cheap/
Could u send me some close up pics of mounting and overall looks to [email protected]

Oh and it is degoated but just not quite enough for me and the stock muffs are beat up a bit

·
Steve
71 Posts
Hi, Pics of the mounting of fatboys are below. I have 2 diffrent pairs, each with different mounting points on the muffler, but basically its just a piece of thick aliminum about 5 inches long hanging off the rear foot rests.

The only trick is the right hand side with has a 6 inch pipe extentsion from the header. This is all covered by guards. The harley muffler clamps are great to use.

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg492/350ernie/vn750mar2012107.jpg

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg492/350ernie/vn750mar2012106.jpg

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg492/350ernie/vn750mar2012105.jpg

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg492/350ernie/vn750mar2012104.jpg

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg492/350ernie/vn750mar2012103.jpg

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I see you pretty much went from the stock header ends (end up straggered)...I added a short piece of flex pipe to my right side to equal out the length (looks better from behind), but then had to drill a 3/8' hole in the left baffle to equalize.
I almost got a pair of FatBoys for the same price, but didnt like the mounting "slots", so went with the Sports due to the tabs.

·
Steve
71 Posts
The ones in the pick dont have baffles, I just basically screwed out te air misture to 2.2 turns to stops the backfirish noise.

I like the staggered look, although the right is slightly longer than the left. I haven't had the bike long enough to notice or to sort out any finer tuning as yet. I still have not done the spline moly grease yet. Just a matter of priorities, and the Kawsaki 3 cylinder sits patiently by for its turn.......

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how do they sound??
louder than degoated stock??
too loud on the hyway??

·
Steve
71 Posts
Perfect. Makes it sound great. I put a decabel reading unit on it, and it was has about 94 dcbls at 4 k revs, and about 98 on accelation and decelaration. I have since turned the jets on the carbs up a 1/4 turn and now the deceleration is less noticable.

I really like the sound, not too loud, but loud enough to just hear them when riding into a headwind.

I just dont know how the trucks ever get passed for noise,.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts