Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I'm having an issue trying to get 2 pairs of aftermarket lights running all at once. I had them on the front with stock lights on the back for a couple weeks, and now I finally took the jump today and installed the rear lights too. When I was running the bike with just one new pair, I noticed that my bike had the "hyper flash" issue, it didn't bother me, but now that I decided I wanted these things to match, I've opened the next can of worms. The store page claims that these are non-LED lights.

I made a video for you, I ramble a bit sorry about that. I do intend on replacing the wire butts with some smaller ones, I was just testing the lights out with them. I regret not splicing the "blades" on for both wire setups, an unfortunate mistake on my part there.

The lights I purchased - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G97FCB1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Even if they’re not LED they may still run less juice than stock and you’ll either need a different relay to even out the pulse or you’ll need load resisters in line with the bulbs. That’s the basic fix with aftermarket lights. Why your lights are dimming I’m not 100% sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the quick reply. Any chance you can point me in the direction of a relay that will work for me?

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Honestly I haven’t looked into it personally. I changed my headlight and tail/brake lights to led but left the signals alone. But it’s as easy as “vn750 flasher relay” in google and before you know it you’ll have too many to choose from lol. Im hesitant that you stated that the new lights aren’t LED though. Somebody who’s lived it will chime in.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I think maybe the front bulbs are installed backward (depending on the type of bulb) or the wires are connected wrong. It looks like the brights are on all the time, and the lows are on the flasher side.

Don't know if that fixes the flasher or not. EP34 is the flasher for LED, and it works with all bulbs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think maybe the front bulbs are installed backward (depending on the type of bulb) or the wires are connected wrong. It looks like the brights are on all the time, and the lows are on the flasher side.

Don't know if that fixes the flasher or not. EP34 is the flasher for LED, and it works with all bulbs.
I don't know if they're backwards, they worked just fine before I installed these new rear ones. All of the lights are 2 wire, even though the front signals used to be 3 wire. I noticed they had hyper flash before I installed the new ones now I have no flash.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Ok that’s starting to make sense. The original were 3 wire because they share a common ground and one leg was for the running lights and the other leg was for the flashers. (One bulb, 2 filaments) The hyper-flash is due to the new bulbs not requiring as much juice as the stock bulbs and it throws off the electronics components a bit. But it’s starting to sound like you have two separate issues here

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I don't know if they're backwards, they worked just fine before I installed these new rear ones. All of the lights are 2 wire, even though the front signals used to be 3 wire. I noticed they had hyper flash before I installed the new ones now I have no flash.
Ahhh, new info. I have no idea.

Do the new lights have double filaments?

·
2003 Vulcan 750/Sidecar
90 Posts
According to the reviews on Amazon they're single element bulbs like an 1156. Blinkers only no running lights.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
According to the reviews on Amazon they're single element bulbs like an 1156. Blinkers only no running lights.
There's the problem, if that's the case.

·
2003 Vulcan 750/Sidecar
90 Posts
Ty

Did you by any chance connect the running light positive also to the fronts?

Reactions: MSattler

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I just browsed through the Amazon link you sent. If you scroll down it states that they’re flashers only and not to be used for daytime running lights. So back to the wiring, if you hooked up all 3 wires something is shorting depending on switch position, that’s why the front are basically turning off when you turn on your signal. Also I noticed in your video that your signal indicators are constantly on, that’s not normal. They should flash with the signals. So you can either remove the running light lead as use them as flashers only, or replace the front pair. Again the relay is for the flash rate and will not fix both issues.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That must be it! Let me get you a picture of the front light wiring. I thought it was weird that the front lights were on despite them not being useable for running lights.

·
2003 Vulcan 750/Sidecar
90 Posts
Electrical tape on exposed ends of running light wires to prevent shorts. Don't tie them together.

·
2003 Vulcan 750/Sidecar
90 Posts
One review said the bulbs are low amps. Probably need the relay Spockster listed. They also said these bulbs burn out quick and aren't true 1156. Might start looking for replacements!

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Took a look at the bike on break. I got the wiring fixed up. The front and back signals now both light up solid. I might still need that relay.
Somebody correct me if I’m wrong. But I thought only the front were running lights and always lit. Thought the rear only flashed when the signal is on. I never bothered to notice haha

1 - 20 of 28 Posts