Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy had his VN750 stolen over the weekend. The cops found it with pretty minor damage, except they ripped all of the wires out of the dashboard and screwed up the ignition switch. We've got another dashboard already. He found this aftermarket ignition switch on e-bay. Anyone have experience with this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-VN750-86-89-Ignition-Switch-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2561bc414aQQitemZ160553517386QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Anyone have an intact ignition switch to sell?

Thanks

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I have no experience with this switch on ebay, but judging from the picture it is not even close in physical size or form to the OEM.
Don`t know if electrical connector will mate with the wiring harness either.

It looks to me to be more of a universal replacement switch, that may or may not fit the Vulcan.
It MAY work all the electrical functions, but does not appear to to have any lock for the fork.

I`d be leery of spending $40 for a switch that is so much different than Ma Kaw`s.

Link to Crobins ignition switch pictures for comparison:
http://www.vn750.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=624

·
Registered
748 Posts
My buddy had his VN750 stolen over the weekend. The cops found it with pretty minor damage, except they ripped all of the wires out of the dashboard and screwed up the ignition switch. We've got another dashboard already. He found this aftermarket ignition switch on e-bay. Anyone have experience with this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-VN750-86-89-Ignition-Switch-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2561bc414aQQitemZ160553517386QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Anyone have an intact ignition switch to sell?

Thanks
Hey, Joe;

That connector looks way too big and all wrong to be a direct connection to the wiring harness at the frame bracket, altho it could be made to work. Not even that sure about the fit to the triple tree. I know I've got two or three extra switches, but I'll have to check and see if any of 'em are still any good; I know one was rebuilt and went bad again about a year later. Does he need the lock cylinder, too? I've got a couple extra of them.

I'll dig thru my electrical box when I get home tomorrow night, and check out what I have.

Jim

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it didn't look right. Yes, he needs the wholw switch and lock cylinder, with a key preferably. They tore it all up trying to start it.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
And I thought only Harleys and sport bikes got stollen.............. Who steals a Vulcan 750?!? :doh:

Now is your big chance to go 'keyless' ignition...... :smiley_th

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
And I thought only Harleys and sport bikes got stollen.............. Who steals a Vulcan 750?!? :doh:

Now is your big chance to go 'keyless' ignition...... :smiley_th
Somebody who wants to ride------------Not sell the parts!!:wow:

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
I think the person who stole it was just so bored that they wanted a bike that surely needed a shaft spline lube, ACCT's fixed ,& Stator replacement. After seeing how hard it was to replace the stator........They dumped the bike......suddenly they were no longer bored anymore..........I am just glad he got his bike back......hopefully the person who did it ....eventually pays for their crime......

·
Registered
748 Posts
I thought it didn't look right. Yes, he needs the wholw switch and lock cylinder, with a key preferably. They tore it all up trying to start it.
OK, I've got one; new lock cylinder with keys, used switch that appears to work like it's supposed to. He'll need the two little screws that hold the switch to the cylinder off his old one. I can send it Monday, if ya send me an address.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts