Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ride on my Vn750 1990 is a bit on the spongy side, the shocks are the original and the air damping leaks as the pressure vanishes almost imediately. So I'm thinking of a pair of after market shocks rather than replacing with the same. Any recommendations

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Progressive shocks are about the only "made for" bolt on shock. They are quite pricey. On average $400 a pair. Once in a while you'll see some used ones on ebay & such. Some folks have used harley shocks.

·
Super Moderator
11,928 Posts
Progressive shocks are about the only "made for" bolt on shock..
Only? Works Perfomance makes shocks for our bike, and as any shock with an eye to length of 11-12.5 inches can be "bolted on" there are quite a few options. Hagon makes shocks that will work from 200 bucks:

http://www.hagonshocksusa.com/HagShocks.htm

Some of the "vintage" shocks would be good too....

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Progressive shocks are about the only "made for" bolt on shock. They are quite pricey. On average $400 a pair. Once in a while you'll see some used ones on ebay & such. Some folks have used harley shocks.
Here are the prices:

All are available in 11 thru 12.5 inch lengths.
412 Series & HD version @ $299.95 (Chrome only)
416 Series (no HD) @ $803.30 (Chrome only & 12.5 inch length only)
430 Series & HD version @ $544.95 (Black or Chrome)
444 Series & HD version @ $669.95 (Black or Chrome)

Fork Spring Kit @ $92.95

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your input, the shocks are the next item on the list, a pair of 412s I think, I hadn't even given a thought to the front springs I like that idea. Hopefully the exhaust system (Vance and Hines) should arrive by Friday so I can fit it over the week-end and then play.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input, the shocks are the next item on the list, a pair of 412s I think, I hadn't even given a thought to the front springs I like that idea. Hopefully the exhaust system (Vance and Hines) should arrive by Friday so I can fit it over the week-end and then play.
Oh you'll love the difference if you want a louder bike. They're not crazy loud, but your presence is definitely announced. Some note that the bike's sound gets annoying on the freeway (starts to drone on you) but I haven't had that thought yet.

Should take you under an hour to fit them. I'd get some new exhaust gaskets for when you do the swap. :smiley_th

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
remember the shock stud is a 14mm not a 1/2 inch most(not all) harley shocks are 1/2 inch and wont fit

not sure as to the specific harley models that will but now you know

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
remember the shock stud is a 14mm not a 1/2 inch most(not all) harley shocks are 1/2 inch and wont fit

not sure as to the specific harley models that will but now you know
then take the rubber bushing and the metal sleeve out of the Vulcan and put them into the Harley shock...

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
mine were shot so i couldnt reuse but i got some with the air shocks i bought from a 05 on ebay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts