Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_0114.JPG

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a front brake issue. When I had the tires replaced on my used 750, I decided to get the front pads done also. I was told the brakes were soft, and they would bleed the lines (extra charge). When that didn't work, then there was a "rip it apart" diagnostic charge (more extra cost), this discovered that I needed a new master cylinder for the front brake (another $300!) I was told a rebuild could not work, because the "Inside was chewed out... didn't I notice the softness in the brakes?" I had the new parts and repairs done. At the ed of the season, this is how it looks- dripping around the top cap- even though tight, and the pull in the break lever felt no different, maybe softer! * Is this leakage normal? Did I get ripped off? Can anyone recommend an honorable mechanic/ shop in the Cleveland, Ohio area...

thank you!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Break Job

Maybe the leakage is just overfill. $300.00 I think that is a lot. Next time you have a problem, run it past the guys on this forum. Then at least you will have a little background when you are talking to a mechanic.

Mcneuby :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Hey Goose:
Without the original parts it's hard to tell if the work was really needed. You probably did not have to spend so much. Lots of folks on this forum do their own work to control these kinds of problems.
I don't know any mechs in the Ohio area, but several forum members are in that area and can sometimes lend a knowing hand to situations like yours. I used speed bleeders this year on all my bikes, and really firmed up the brakes on all the bikes. It also makes it easy to change fluid by yourself, which I do yearly.
There should be no leakage around the cover. Perhaps they nicked the edge of the mating surface of the new master cylinder.
I would be reluctant to use that mechanic's shop again.

Bronson

·
Registered
167 Posts
$300 is a lot. Every so often I get a little leak from there, but that is normal (there is a weep hole there for excess fluid to come out). I used to have a lot more come out and I discovered it was due to the previous owner installing the rubber diaphragm incorrectly. Give that a check.

You can rebuild a MC. I have a post here where I did it (sorry- I'd search for it, but I am in a coffeeshop and the web speed here is suuuper slow).

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...dont ever go to a $$$dealer$$$....ask here first.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! Wolfie, you pre empted my next possible move... a (ugh) dealer! I did demand to have the original parts back so I could see why they said a rebuild would not work and a new master was needed. I did notice the weep hole was present on both the old and new MC. In the future I will consult the fellow members here before making any decisions about mods or repairs.

To all, once again... thank you for your insight!

Scott

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Very few mechanics around anymore who actually fix stuff by rebuilding components.
In automotive shops it's cheaper in most cases to just replace with new or factory rebuilt parts.

A few reasons to learn to wrench your own ride:
http://lifeisaroad.com/wrenching.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts