Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just signed up for the ABATE basic riders course. Looking for advice on what and how to pratice for the course. Should I use their bikes or my own? And just how difficult is it to pass?
Thanks

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
Shouldn't be too bad.never taken it myself but I think they teach a lot.it'd be worth it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Have you ridden before? Roadbike, dirtbikes? It's basically set up for people who have NEVER been on a motorcycle. If you have basic road/traffic knowledge and have at least ridden a motorcycle a few times and didn't fall, or stall it should be stupidly easy. You can watch some YouTube vids to see what the track will be like, figure 8's, controlled stopping, stopping in a turn, zig zags are the most common maneuvers. I would use there bike (the coarse I took didn't even allow personal bikes) but bring your own helmet so you don't have to use theirs.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,718 Posts
^ yup, what he said.

it's not that hard. just do as they teach you and you will pass with no problems.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
He said in his "hello post" he rode a street bike 35 years ago.

Didn't say for how long. My advice is to use their bike, practise slow sharp turns in an empty parking lot. Buy some cheap colored sponges to use as cones. If you ride over one they just compress and won't give you any problems.

Just take things slow. It will all come back to you. ... It's like riding a bike right? ;)

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
He said in his "hello post" he rode a street bike 35 years ago.

Didn't say for how long. My advice is to use their bike, practise slow sharp turns in an empty parking lot. Buy some cheap colored sponges to use as cones. If you ride over one they just compress and won't give you any problems.

Just take things slow. It will all come back to you. ... It's like riding a bike right? ;)
X2....remember, its easy to go fast, some have trouble going slow.

·
Registered
936 Posts
X3

It should be easy. I found the slow turn practice really helpful. Some of the other skills were good to (stopping in a turn, quick stop, etc) - just as was mentioned above.

One guy in my class failed because during the final 'test' he slid on the gravel during a quick stop and laid the bike over (I didn't see that the guy should have failed but that was the 'rule').

After the class - I spent a lot of time in empty parking lots practicing slow and tight turns - that was my weakest skill

You'll do fine

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
X3

It should be easy. I found the slow turn practice really helpful. Some of the other skills were good to (stopping in a turn, quick stop, etc) - just as was mentioned above.

One guy in my class failed because during the final 'test' he slid on the gravel during a quick stop and laid the bike over (I didn't see that the guy should have failed but that was the 'rule').

After the class - I spent a lot of time in empty parking lots practicing slow and tight turns - that was my weakest skill

You'll do fine

Laying the bike down = automatic fail!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Laying the bike down = automatic fail!
Apparently so!!

I felt bad for the guy - the quick stop happened to be on a patch in the parking lot that had a lot of loose gravel and the front tire slid - then he dropped it. Good training - but I kind of thought he got 'robbed' :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have been honestly thinking of taking the course here in Mo. 2 reasons come to mind; first I taught myself to ride when I was in 3rd grade. With surfing the web I have learned a lot of things I did automatically, like counter steering' to be more effective if done purposely. Then the safety aspect. I'm getting older and don't bounce as well as I used to. I would be more inclined to take the course with my own ride, since that is the one I'll be riding. Plus I tuned my fork suspension for my weight last weekend......with the increased rebound I feel 100% more stable. I can feel the grip in a turn, while hitting a bump. Granted before my shocks were low on oil, and water intrusion. Anyway, the more info you have the better rider you become.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
You will definitely benefit taking the riders course .... if your state does NOT have a mandatory requirement in order to obtain your MC License Endorsement....would make no diff should you dump your larger VN750 (vs smaller course bike) & fail the course.
The Renewal of the Safety aspect's of riding on the road will be great.

....and of course the Insurance discount is valuable.

:smiley_th

·
Registered
936 Posts
^Yes and if you take the course most insurance companies give you a discount..$$$$$$$
Good Point !

...I would be more inclined to take the course with my own ride, since that is the one I'll be riding. Plus I tuned my fork suspension for my weight last weekend......with the increased rebound I feel 100% more stable.
In the beginner's class here in Texas the student had to use the cycles provided (250cc). The advanced riding class allows you to bring your own motorcycle (maybe even mandatory).

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Question...

If you use their bike, drop it and break something, who pays to get it fixed?
They do, that's why the coarse cost so damn much, @ $200+.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Right...and if you use your bike, and break something, they don't pay to fix it, you do.
So .....seems to me you're better off using their bike. :)
Agree 100%

During my class a lady actually dropped a bike and broke the left footpeg off. The instructor made a bigger deal out of it than he should have (made the lady feel guilty because of the 'repair cost'). The rest of us were thinking - "lighten up dude, that's what the insurance is for".

I'm sure it happens quite often

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Right...and if you use your bike, and break something, they don't pay to fix it, you do.
So .....seems to me you're better off using their bike. :)
The class I took, and of all the ones I've ever heard of, its not even an option. Basic riders coarse they provide the bike, no option, advanced rider course you bring your ride, no option. Maybe be different in other states but that's how it be down here.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
The class I took, and of all the ones I've ever heard of, its not even an option. Basic riders coarse they provide the bike, no option, advanced rider course you bring your ride, no option. Maybe be different in other states but that's how it be down here.
Well all the ones that do it that way I think are funded by the MSF. This one by the title here seems to be funded by ABATE....so perhaps they do things diffrent.

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Well all the ones that do it that way I think are funded by the MSF. This one by the title here seems to be funded by ABATE....so perhaps they do things diffrent.
True, I am speaking of the msf.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts