Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just replaced the fork oil for the first time ever on my 01 and boy did it smell and look bad. I had some trouble getting the rings off and was working alone so I thought I'd offer some tips that I learned in the process.

I placed the bike on the center stand and used a car jack to get the front wheel a few inches of the ground (couldn't find my second block of wood to use my motorcycle jack but with the center stand the car jack is just fine). Unscrewed the caps and then the hard part. I tried a c clamp with socket to compress the springs but it was rather finicky. Ultimately ratchet straps once again saved the day (I'm convinced v4 carbs are not possible to install without them).

The retention rings were a PITA but I found using two flat head precision screw drivers made it really easy. Take the first one to pry the end of the ring out from the top then wedge it between the wall of the fork tube and use the second one to pry from under to get the ring over the indent where it seats. A helper would have been great to not mess with ratcheting straps but for those of us who live alone or don't have someone willing to help, they're a life saver.

My bike finally rides well and the front suspension no longer collapses when I even think about touching the front brakes. If you haven't changed your fork oil in a while or aren't sure if it's ever been done, I'd highly recommend doing it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah I just did progressive fork springs a few days ago and changed my oil for valvoline auto trans fluid and I'm pretty happy with the results. I made the mistake of trying to compress the fork without jacking up the front wheel and it was impossible. I had to Jack it up to unload the spring tension to be able to compress it. I used a long harbor freight wood clamp with that adjustable screw handle and a deep socket,extension, and a smaller socket inside the deep socket so the clamp screw head would sit inside the socket without shifting but also without having to travel so far without compressing. If that makes any sense. If I used the deep socket without anything inside, the screw would practically bottom out and not be able to compress the fork. I did this job alone also but I didn't need a ratchet strap. I used 2 precision flathead screwdrivers to get the rings out. It was easy once I figured out the compressing technique.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts