Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally was able to find a shinny new Speed-O and Tach to replace my ugly rusted out old ones. This new unit has about 12K miles less on it than the bike actually has on it.

Has anyone advanced the Odo with a drill, or some other way? I've never tried it, not sure if it takes forever, or if it will damage the unit. It would be nice to have it say the actual miles, but I'll live if it doesn't. Any advice would be a great help...

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
The collett (chuck) on a Dremel should fit nicely, and my Dremel, at least, has numerous speeds. Id say start at a slow speed, and work your way up. Watch the actual speedometer, set Dremel speed to 100mph, and you should be able to figure out roughly how long it will take....
If youre talking 10k miles, could take awhile. Mebbe a dealer can do it also. I dont go to dealers except for occasional parts, so not sure.
I reversed the odometer on an old MGB I was working on for a week (shhh !)
Took it on a few sweet rides ! (was charging peanuts for the work though, so figured fair/fair)...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah a drill will take a lifetime.. When I tested my spedo my 18v dewalt only ran at around 30MPH..

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Screw it, I'll just do the math.....

·
2,527 Posts
I got a cheap hatachi drill at Lowe's and was able to keep it at 55mph, it still took a couple of days to get a few thousand miles I needed. I ran it a few hours a day like that.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Dunno if it'd work on the Vulcan, but my early 70s Triumph had any easy to disassemble speedo. Once I got the cover glass off, I just took a pin, and advanced em manually.
Also Peter, according to NYS law, when you transfer the bike, you need to sign on the title whether or not the speedo has been tampered with. So in effect, you'd need to do it in either case.
In your case, you can write for example :
Old Speedometer = 21, 987 mi
New Speedometer = 12, 658 mi

You should also transfer the old speedo with the bike.

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
I need to go the other way. My bike had just over 42K on the clock when I blew it up, and the replacement only had 19K. So far I've just left it alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts