Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Adjusting rear shocks

9K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Vulcan2000 
#1 ·
New to riding and my 1994 VN750 is my first bike.
Wondering how to adjust the rear shocks and what should they be set at?

Thank you

#2 ·
Hi, welcome, and you twist the top of the shock as it's a dial. Personal preference on the setting. I believe higher number is stiffer ride.

#3 ·
Shocks

Set them to whatever you like !. It won't make any difference because they are crappy stock shocks !. no oil,no air in mine,,it makes no difference.

#4 ·
My bike has the stock air shocks. I run 28 pounds of air in each shock and have the settings on 2 for solo riding and 3 for riding with a passenger.

#6 ·
How much do you weigh? What type of riding do you do? You carry a passenger? Got saddlebags loaded with stuff?
What are the roads like where you live?

Suspension is adjusted using all these factors... So there is no one answer. Although I agree with rev it up's post.... The shocks are crap. If yours still hold air .. Pump them up with a Hand Pump to a about 10% of your total load on the rear as a good starting point.

#7 ·
lol, I forgot about the air pressure. Never touched mine. Only the dials. You'll probably have to take some time and find what's best for you by riding it (aww, what a shame ;)) until you find what you like.

#8 ·
I have read on this forum that the place to start for air pressure in our rear shocks under normal riding conditions is to divide the total load weight (rider and any extra gear) by ten. Therefore a 185 pound rider with an additional 15 pounds of gear in the saddle bags should start out with 20 pounds (185 + 15 = 200/10 = 20) of air in each rear shock and adjust for your particular riding style. I also read that the maximum pressure is 45 pounds I believe but this would be for new shocks in good condition I believe. Try to keep the two shocks balanced as to the same air pressure. Some prefer to use a hand pump to avoid over inflation and to not loose air upon removal of the air chuck. Check your pressure after riding for a bit to see if they maintain a steady pressure before you get overly involved in trying to find the perfect ride setting. Twisting the top cup between 1 and 4 is also a matter of personal riding style and feel.

I hope this and the other information given by others helps and welcome to the wild world of Vulcans.

Tom
Vulcan 2000

#9 ·
I have read on this forum that the place to start for air pressure in our rear shocks under normal riding conditions is to divide the total load weight (rider and any extra gear) by ten. Therefore a 185 pound rider with an additional 15 pounds of gear in the saddle bags should start out with 20 pounds (185 + 15 = 200/10 = 20) of air in each rear shock and adjust for your particular riding style. I also read that the maximum pressure is 45 pounds
Good info to know, thanks.:smiley_th

#11 ·
There is a wealth of information here for new riders and those that have been around for some time. Check out the search option for different subjects when ever you have any questions but never be afraid to ask. I do not think there is a problem that has not been dealt with by at least one member that you may come across yourself. This is a great group.

Keep riding and ride often.

Tom
Vulcan 2000

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.