Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
www.underworldlarp.ca
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1083

I see the steps to close both screws then open them 2 turns. I was about to do this when my dad stopped me and told me it was all wrong... We argued a bit about it and I am still convinced the guys who own the bike and write the guides likely know more than the guy who rode enduros 25 years ago and knows cars.

HOWEVER, do I run the engine hot and then adjust the screws? Do i make adjustments while it is running? I know there is only a 3 1/2 opening restriction, so really how badly can I mess the bike up playing with these screws?

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
You do not need the engine running or hot. Turn the screws all the way in ( not too tight) and then back them out 2 1/2 full turns. This is your starting point. Read the plugs after about 50 miles and make adjustments.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If it were a honda or yamaha ,i'd say dad is right.
But, what you are looking for is the highest,smoothest idle you can get. Go take it for a ride,get it warmed up,set it on the center stand,start it up and start adjusting,after you're done set the idle to the correct rpm's, should feel a lil peppier and a lil less cold natured.

·
www.underworldlarp.ca
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mostly I am finding I have a stalling issue when it is idling or when I stop in traffic.

The backfiring is a bit of a pain as well so I MIGHT do the marble trick. It idles great now. Thanks for the help folks.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Cool, just one thing. I am a total noob here, so.. Read the plugs?
Pull the plugs from each cylinder. The electrode should be a light tan or grey. If they are white, the cylinder is too lean. If they are black it is too rich. Turning the screw in will make it leaner, turning the screw out will make it richer. Do in 1/4 to 1/2 turn adjustments.

·
Super Moderator
11,810 Posts
Actually your dad is right.
The bike should be warm and running, you then lower the idle till it starts to stumble, then you adjust tbd screws until it smoothest out.... Then lowering idle again and repeating the process, the goal getting to idle as smooth as you can at the lowest rpm you can....THEN you reset the idle to 1100-1150 rpms.

HOWEVER......you can bypass this process because hundreds of Vulcan owners have already done this and found that 2-1/2 turns out seems to be the best average setting. This way you dont have to deal with the bike overheating while you screw with the screws, or the plugs giving you false readings because the bikes getting hot and you keep lowering the idle so it basically starts missing and fouls the plugs.

You see, we've removed all the guess work and hassle of going "old school" on the carbs like your dad used to do it.......

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts