Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bikes PO told me that the bike has adjustable air shocks. What does this mean its an 85 Vulcan 700

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
You're just full of questions, aren't ya? :)

If you look at your shocks, you'll notice some numbers from 1-4. You are able to adjust the level of stiffness based on where these numbers are positioned and how much air you have in them. Here's a link to some info in the archives:

http://www.vn750.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-20001.html

By the way, welcome to the forum. I think you'll find A LOT of great info and help on here. It has really been a lifesaver for me. :beerchug:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I told myself I need to get more involved more in the forum and learn about my bike so I can answer questions for others. And get my bike in top shape along the way of course

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
You've come to the right place. I'm sure glad I found it. I've done several of the mods and found new friends along the way.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
my bike wouldn't be were she is today without this site.and i've met some cool people along the way:smiley_th

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
wouldn't know about the stock shocks.i have lowered progressive shocks on mine

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
All years have rear adjustable shocks, but I believe the early years also had adjustable front forks...air nipple at the top of the fork tube.
yup.my 85 has them.not sure about my 86,though

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
AllAROUND ADJUSTABLE

My 87 has air adjustable front and rear and the rear 4 position adjustable.

Attachments

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
Welcome

My 87 has front and rear air adjustable and 4 position dampening on rear:smiley_th

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
History of the vn750 as we know it:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1771

Quote from above link:
Air adjustable forks
- '85-'88 = only years
Front fork tubes are usable with air pressure from 0 - 7.1 psi.

Rear shocks have 4 position adjustment for hydralic damping effect (shock extension).
1 is softest, 4 is hardest.
Factory setting is 2. Adjust to personal preference to accommodate rider weight and riding conditions.

Springs resist compression of shocks. Air pressure assists and is adjustable.
Usable pressure in rear shock is 0 -41 psi.
Max. pressure is 71 psi before seals blow out.
Max weight to be carried on the vn750 is 397 lb, riders and luggage.

Clymer manual suggests atmospheric pressure (zero psi) for rear shock for a 150 lb rider.
General consensus on this board is 10% psi of weight carried, or 15 psi for a 150 lb rider.

I weigh over 300 lb ready to ride, and carry probably 50 lb of luggage and tools on my daily commute.
My dampers are set at 4, and air pressure close to max at 35-40 psi.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts