Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to adjust the clutch lever so it sits closer to the grip? I have to basically take my hand off the grip in order to grab the clutch, I'd like to be able to keep three fingers on the grip and use one finger for the clutch but it doesn't reach. Any way to do this? Sorry if this is a dumb question, this is my first bike and I'm trying to make it as comfortable as possible!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,859 Posts
Again, I'm not sure why you need to "remove your hand from the grip" to pull in the clutch. Do you believe you have to keep your fingers wrapped around the grip to begin with? Unless you have small hands or a very thick set of grips I'm not sure why you have to do this.

Most riders I know can easily ride their bike while keeping their two first fingers over the clutch and brake lever. You should be able to pull either lever in this way. If your need to grip the lever with all your fingers, you just put the other fingers over the lever as you pull it in.

I hardly ever wrap my fingers tightly around the grips. You should be able to hold on by simply using your thumb and the palm of your hand. Perhaps you need to adjust your reach to the handlebars, it sounds like something isn't fitting you correctly.

Can you post a photo of your hand on the grip?

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
I agree KM.

Can you operate the front brake while holding the throttle? if so, I suspect maybe the clutch lever is bent? they are supposed to be in approximately the same position.

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
Cole continues to ask these type of questions as he is a new rider. I believe he is over thinking things. Just needs to ride some more and get better acquainted with the mechanics of motorcycling. Good questions, just sometimes you have to accept things as they are. My son just bought his first bike, 750 Honda Shadow, and already he wants to repaint, new pipes, better seat...Told him just ride it and get comfortable with it in traffic. The bike is in perfect condition and only 6000 miles on the clock.

Reactions: ubertalldude

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Is it possible your handlebars are adjusted in too much of an upright position, i.e. rotated forward too far? This might cause the levers to be lower than the grips, and out of easy reach?
Someone else might know for sure, but I think the button assemblies, including the grips, have a set position on the handlebars and can't be rotated individually.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's my hand on the grip and the clutch...it's reachable but still a slight stretch. Second picture is my front brake reach

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
can you show a pic of each lever without your hands?looks like the clutch lever is bent

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
You can probably get away with a little more slack on the clutch cable side an that might help a little. If you ever do try and bend these levers have an extra set handy, they are more brittle metal than bendy metal.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You can probably get away with a little more slack on the clutch cable side an that might help a little. If you ever do try and bend these levers have an extra set handy, they are more brittle metal than bendy metal.
Funny ... I bent mine pretty quickly using plain ol' asphalt. Took very little effort or planning. :doh: :crying:

·
Super Moderator
11,859 Posts
A photo without the gloves and a bit farther back would help. Along with one from the front of the bike and one above the lever so we can tell if it's up to high or bent.

My real question here is who told you to squeeze the levers with all four fingers?

I don't think anyone here does that.....

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
A photo without the gloves and a bit farther back would help. Along with one from the front of the bike and one above the lever so we can tell if it's up to high or bent.

My real question here is who told you to squeeze the levers with all four fingers?

I don't think anyone here does that.....
Leaving here in a bit and I'll see if I notice how I do it. Course now you have ruined me and I'll be using four fingers for sure. I swear I do though. I think I use less on the brake. I don't know what to believe....Friend of mine said that during a drunk cry when we were teens. Will never forget. Scott has moved on now. RIP Scott!

·
Dirt to road
231 Posts
Used this on my dirtbike. Its fully adjustable and as long as the bar size fits i dont see why it wouldn't work.

I have thought about swapping it from my dirt bike to try but havent tried yet.

http://www.motosport.com/asv-c6-pro-clutch-lever

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
I use two fingers on the clutch with one under(don't have a clue why I do one under)and two fingers on the brake

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,859 Posts
My last thoughts here are that I'm not sure �� why you need all four fingers to pull in the clutch lever, and why, if you want do want to, you can't simply begin pulling it in with your first two fingers and then wrap the others around it when it gets closer.

These aren't dirt bikes, you don't need a death grip on the bars...but you can use a clutch lever (and assembly) from many other bikes as long as the cable diameter and handle bar diameter are the same. The adjustable lever off my 2012 Triumph Bonneville would work great on the Vulcan.

Again your photos are not of much help, but as you have not said you have difficulty using the front brake, it does seem to indicate your clutch lever is bent, as they are pretty much equal distances from the grip. So I think I'd try replacing just the lever to start with.

And as I asked on the Facebook site...do you just have tiny hands?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts