Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running an additional tail light on my motorcycle bike rack

I'm thinking the circuit would be in Parallel.

is it correct to tap into the negative and positive that run to the standard tail light then run these wires to the additional light on my bike rack. There would be a current drop from one light to the other in the parallel circuit, but the battery provides more than enough current and as a result both lights should not dim. Does this make sense?

If this doesn't make sense as the important thing is the lights do not dim then plan B would be to install a switch to shut off the standard tail light if the bike rack tail light is needed.

I'd appreciate any help. If both ideas would work then which would be better. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,567 Posts
yup, that's the right way to do it.

you may see a slight dimming when both are on, due to the increased current flow thru the wires which may be a little undersized for the load. no fire hazard or anything, just might see 12.5 volts at the bulbs instead of 13.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup, that's the right way to do it.

you may see a slight dimming when both are on, due to the increased current flow thru the wires which may be a little undersized for the load. no fire hazard or anything, just might see 12.5 volts at the bulbs instead of 13.
Thanks! The new taillight is a short array of LEDs but my stock tail light is an incandescent light. Any advice on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to spend time wiring if it's not going to work.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
running LED's in parallel is the way to do it.
Current will not be effected....no visible dimming to speak of.

You saw my added tail light on the backrest...right?
No issues to report, and the wiring will be fine if you are running LED's....not much current draw to cause an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
running LED's in parallel is the way to do it.
Current will not be effected....no visible dimming to speak of.

You saw my added tail light on the backrest...right?
No issues to report, and the wiring will be fine if you are running LED's....not much current draw to cause an issue.
I don't remember but hey, I'm getting old. ; ) . Thanks for the update. It's nice to know it has been tried and proven. Looking for power connector now since I'm going to need to connect and disconnect the wires to the 2nd tail light on the bike rack. I visited pep boys, auto-zone and radio shack. I found what I needed at Radio-Shack but it doesn't look like it's going to hold up. I hesitantly bought it anyway. I thought about using a hitch trailer connection (male and female) but to much extra baloney would be needed to take advantage of the robust connector. Thought about cutting a couple off one of my bikes but haven't investigated that yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts