Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking here for a while, and it is time to give something back. It has annoyed me that the battery on this bike is so small. I have had to charge too often when i have been doing a lot of starting and stopping. And the cumbersome system to have to remove the seat for access to the battery had to be dealt with. I decided it was time to add an external charging port. I ordered two SAE connectors with a short cable. This is how I did it. First I put an extra layer of heat shink hose on the cable to give it a little extra protection against wear, then I added ring connectors to the cable ends. IMPORTANT NOTE: Connect the RED wire to the NEGATIVE Side of the battery! Othervise the exposed end of the SAE connector can touch the frame when the end cap is taken off! NOT GOOD.... I secured the cable and connector with a ziptie to an existing cable bundle and it now hangs out at the rear of the left side cover. SAE cable #2 i soldered to the battery clamps on the charger. IMPORTANT AGAIN: This time, connect the red wire to the red positive clamp, and the Black wire to the Black negative clamp. Pictures of the process below. Hope this can be of use for someone.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
You already did the work around but you can get SAE cables with the correct color code. Again not a big deal if you know which is which already. What jumps out at me is why you need to charge the battery often, I also do a lot of stop n go traffic and the only time I need to charge the bike is in winter when it sits for a while. The only time I charged often is when my stator was starting to crap out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You already did the work around but you can get SAE cables with the correct color code. Again not a big deal if you know which is which already. What jumps out at me is why you need to charge the battery often, I also do a lot of stop n go traffic and the only time I need to charge the bike is in winter when it sits for a while. The only time I charged often is when my stator was starting to crap out.
I didnt know one could get different color coded SAE cables. Maybe I just didnt see it when I ordered them a few weeks ago. Search on ebay gives you about a million hits on SAE cables....half of them identical from china for about one dollar.... For that matter, I didnt know they existed before I read about them in this forum.... Later I have seen the usb-adapter ones and the voltmeter ones for example.
About the need to charge often, it isnt THAT often.. But often enough that it is annoying to remove the seat each time. The previous owner replaced the stator and clutch, but I dont know if it was some substandard parts he used. Maybe that has something to do with it, I dont know. Hope it isnt a bad stator, that would be a bummer. A lot of work to replace.

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
When you buy a Battery Tender or Battery Tender JR, they come with the proper color coded SAE connectors. Actually most chargers that are sold for motorcycles do to.
I’d wager most of the members here have such a hookup already installed on their bike, but thanks for the write up. ;)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
My battery charger has an SAE connector right on the output wires, so I can plug directly to the SAE connector I have connected to my vulcan's battery. When I need battery clamps ... you guessed it ... there's a set of clamps with an SAE connector that I can hook up to the charger!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you buy a Battery Tender or Battery Tender JR, they come with the proper color coded SAE connectors. Actually most chargers that are sold for motorcycles do to.
I’d wager most of the members here have such a hookup already installed on their bike, but thanks for the write up. ;)
Thats ok. The point was; When You cant buy a battery tender or batterytender jr, as they are not sold in Norway as far as I know...... They do sell chargers that cost A LOT, like equivalent to 120 dollars and up, -some- of -them- have the SAE connectors, but the lower priced ones have nonstandard connectors. Or not at all. Just fixed cables. My thought was to tip someone of a VERY cheap way to do this... This cost about three dollars in parts. (And about 25 dollars for the charger) I am no expert in any way, and kind of new to this. All info I could find about this on the forum had either dead links or no pictures, that is the reason I did this You see. This post was obviously meant for newbies like me.... Hope I dont sound offended or anything, remember I am from Norway and might sound strange. I dont mean to.

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
And didn’t mean to belittle your post. I did say thanks ;)

But for a DIY charging port I have you beat. Had a neighbor with a Goldwing that made his plug in charger from the two ends of a regular electric extension cord. 🔌
He used the three prong type so he wouldn’t mix up polarity.
I always told him some day you’re going to go plug your charger in and use the wrong cord 🙄

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And didn’t mean to belittle your post. I did say thanks ;)

But for a DIY charging port I have you beat. Had a neighbor with a Goldwing that made his plug in charger from the two ends of a regular electric extension cord. 🔌
He used the three prong type so he wouldn’t mix up polarity.
I always told him some day you’re going to go plug your charger in and use the wrong cord 🙄
All is good👍
Oops, that would probably be a Nice light show.... 😬☺

·
Registered
326 Posts
That's exactly how I am set up.

Reactions: MortenM
1 - 10 of 10 Posts