Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am throwing the idea around to add running lights, or spot lights for at night, and obviously I will need to add a switch to turn them on when needed.

I am curious as to how other members installed an add-on switch to the VN750? I don't mean how it was wired....I mean for looks.

I was throwing the idea around to mount a toggle switch on the top of the "EAR", but wondering if there are better options.

What locations were chosen and how did the hardware look once installed? I don't want to make it look cheap, but I don't want to break the bank either. Anyone have photos of their installs? any ideas would be appreciated.

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
I wired a simple push button, push on-push again off to my digital volt meter and attached it by velcro to the black elect harness coming off my left hand controls. You can see it at my albums.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KM....I love the dash idea....one of these days I will try to fabricate one myself. I kinda like my plexifairing, so it would have to fit under that.

Romeobravo172....I like the look of the thumb switch on the left side controls. What switch did you use, and how is it mounted?

Kanuck69...that was another place I considered, was just afraid it would get hit too often by accident there.

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Can't tell you the make of the switch, Was one of those things thrown in my elect junk box for possible future use. Is fairly small, kind of football shaped and flat on the back side. The wire harness comes out of the left control and is incassed in like a vinal sheath and right there is reasonably firm. Took a piece of fairly stif velcro and glued it right there next to the left control case, and opposite velcro to flat bottom of switch. I just need to trim a tiny edge of velcro to tidy up a bit. I think it looks like it belongs there and is somewhat out of direct weather. Plus is real easy to get to.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't tell you the make of the switch, Was one of those things thrown in my elect junk box for possible future use. Is fairly small, kind of football shaped and flat on the back side. The wire harness comes out of the left control and is incassed in like a vinal sheath and right there is reasonably firm. Took a piece of fairly stif velcro and glued it right there next to the left control case, and opposite velcro to flat bottom of switch. I just need to trim a tiny edge of velcro to tidy up a bit. I think it looks like it belongs there and is somewhat out of direct weather. Plus is real easy to get to.
I am going to start digging for a waterproof switch that will fit in that area, possibly mounted to a flange or bracket that will fit under a bolt.

I did not find any handlebar switches in JC Whitney as KN mentioned above, but I see they have a housing to fit over the Brake reservoir and adds 3 switches, but of coarse they don't make one to fit the VN750 :doh:

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Sorry I don't have a picture but I bought a Radio Shack switch with a lighted bat toggle and cut the bat down as small as possible and mounted it in the plastic cowl in front of the tank. Wired it to a relay which controls the power to my lights.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I don't have a picture but I bought a Radio Shack switch with a lighted bat toggle and cut the bat down as small as possible and mounted it in the plastic cowl in front of the tank. Wired it to a relay which controls the power to my lights.
that's a location I haven't considered yet. Great idea!

And the wiring would stay pretty much hidden under the cowl, which is very close to the light bucket and the front end where I may mount them on the engine guard. thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Despite the fact that I have had at least 2 of them, I cannot find that JC Whitney switch either. It looked a lot like this ( http://tinyurl.com/6ore5ez ) but did not have the coiled cord. You could get them as a single switch, or 2 switches in one housing. Mine were both single switches, SPST, to turn one thing on and off.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
In regards to my mounting location. I have never hit it by accident. You would really have to try to do it by accident. lol

This is the opposite side of where I mounted it but it's the only pic I have handy.
My switch is mounted on the top portion in the flat lip. Not on the exsposed side.
You don't even notice it unless it's pointed out. I also mounted my led glow lights in the same location. I love it.

Mounted Here V

I'll have to take a pic & show you.

I like the cowl idea too but I was leary of clearance behind it.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
here is a link to several types of switches and different places to mount them.I Just moved mine to the top of the left hand control box above and behind the hi/lo beam switch .I have a 1500 now but the switch boxes are almost identical.I mounted mine like the one pictured at the right side of the page part way down.Anyway,there is a lot of good info and ideas you can see here http://www.gadgetjq.com/accessory_switches.htm

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
good stuff Denny6006...thanks!

Now I am going to have to take apart the switch box just to see if there is any room in there. I hope I don't break anything while investigating.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
good stuff Denny6006...thanks!

Now I am going to have to take apart the switch box just to see if there is any room in there. I hope I don't break anything while investigating.
The back side of the box should be empty,and have room for a micro or mini toggle.The big plus is you can turn the lights on/off without moving your hand from the grip. You're welcome, that link also has a section on 750's in particular and a bunch of stuff that applies to motorcycles in general.

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
My driving lights were switched by a waterproof toggle switch on my "Dash". (see Dash folder in my link below)
That looks very nice. I'm impressed. :smiley_th

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
OK...so I finally got the lights installed :beerchug:

I opted to go with a waterproof switch mounted on the left side of the handlebars. I fabricated a plate to fit under the the bolt that tightens the clutch lever to the handlebars. The plate is aluminum with a polished finish.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and ideas!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts