Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine asked me today if I knew of a tool that would allow him to create a new grease point? The only thing I could think of was to drill a hole, then tap the whole with the same thread as the zerk he was going to use.

Any other ideas? Btw, he owns a 77 Jeep CJ7.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
A buddy of mine asked me today if I knew of a tool that would allow him to create a new grease point? The only thing I could think of was to drill a hole, then tap the whole with the same thread as the zerk he was going to use.

Any other ideas? Btw, he owns a 77 Jeep CJ7.
Hmmm, thats about all I can think of right now... Then you would almost need to have the part off to to get or keep the metal filings and stuff out, or at least be able to clean & flush them out...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Reactions: carolesteven

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
didn't even think about the metal filings... Mentioned that to him as well. Thanks Old Dog!!!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hmmm, thats about all I can think of right now... Then you would almost need to have the part off to to get or keep the metal filings and stuff out, or at least be able to clean & flush them out...
Have a good one...Old Dog...
Might depend to some extent on the orientation of the hole you are drilling, as to how much metal filing will get in. If you are drilling in from the side, or up into the bottom of the workpiece, you may get by not dismantling the parts. Also pack some grease into the flutes of the drill bit and threading tap to capture metal filings as they break off. JM2CW

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
You can also buy Zerk fittings that just have rings around them that drive into a small unthreaded hole without tapping,The work really well in thin metal that won't have a lot of threads to screw into.Plus it just saves one step by not having to tap the hole.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. Passed these suggestions on to my buddy.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
The important part to me would be what is he trying to grease?

Some bearings are saddled by rubber seals that can easily get blown out with a grease gun.

Also shooting grease into a pivot bushing is only usefull if the surfaces rotate completely around......meaning shoving grease into a swing arm bushing only adds lube to one side of the bushing and can force the non-lubed side harder against one side of its housing.

The only way to avoid this is to remove the bushing and mill a deep groove all the way around it that matches up with the zerk hole...so it can at least surround the bushing better.

And some bushings are not meant to be lubed or oiled at all..........

KM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts