Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a compatable 6 speed tranny to fit a 96 vn750? I've been working on this little project and I would like to give her some longer legs.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Wouldnt we all, as 5th is way too low, and 1st and second are too close....

Do a site search and see that we've been discussing it fer years.....there are a few options, none of em easy since its a shaft drive....if it were a chain or belt, we'd be home free....OR....find a machinist with a CNC machine to mill ya a new 5th.....

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
And then have it polished down, heat treated, cryoed.. and at the cost of designing, milling and hardening a higher 5th you might as well trade over to a different bike. I wish it was feasible.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
And then have it polished down, heat treated, cryoed.. and at the cost of designing, milling and hardening a higher 5th you might as well trade over to a different bike. I wish it was feasible.
Rode my sportster in today and never hit fifth gear :)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Im in fifth by 45 mph....lol....ya, I lug the hell outta Bessie....its what Im used to....not used to these high revvin Jappers.....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,225 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
The 750 screams for a 6th gear.

Don't know why Kawasaki never put one in.

If you want to cruise 75 or so the RPM's are pretty high.

On some So Cal freeways if you're not doing AT LEAST 75 you'll get run over!

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
The 750 screams for a 6th gear.

Don't know why Kawasaki never put one in.

If you want to cruise 75 or so the RPM's are pretty high.

On some So Cal freeways if you're not doing AT LEAST 75 you'll get run over!
Not really. In fact the engine likes to "scream".... You can use the same logic for any bike with 5 speeds. So it's running at a higher rpm? Why does everyone think that's a bad thing??

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Not really. In fact the engine likes to "scream".... You can use the same logic for any bike with 5 speeds. So it's running at a higher rpm? Why does everyone think that's a bad thing??
I second this. The engine runs great at higher rpms, and is designed for it.

Could we use a 6th gear for better MPG, etc? Sure. Not really required, though. The VN is my 'around town' bike and was never designed as a long distance touring machine.

My 86 has no issues going 90 down the so cal freeways, so I can't imagine you guys with newer ones having problems. :p

·
Registered
72 Posts
With the Vulcan if I remember right you are more than halfway to redline, IMOP that's too much, more RPM's more engine wear.

I have a 2008 FJR......it has only 5 speeds but 5th is a overdrive gear.

At 80MPH I'm at 4,000RPM's but Redline is 9,500 so it's less than halfway to redline.
At 70MPH I'm only at 3,000 RPM's.....the Vulcan 750 should have numbers like that but they're much higher.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
With the Vulcan if I remember right you are more than halfway to redline, IMOP that's too much, more RPM's more engine wear.

At 80MPH I'm at 4,000RPM's but Redline is 9,500 so it's less than halfway to redline.
At 70MPH I'm only at 3,000 RPM's.....the Vulcan 750 should have numbers like that but they're much higher.
I researched this and started a thread, a loong time ago.

People post to fit their preferred narrative. Not reality.

The VN 5th gear is over driven, it is 0.8xx.

Even modern bikes are not going to highway a long way off peak torque. Many reasons for this.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts

....and.... ?

...different bikes ....different expectations...... :doh:

:smiley_th

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
VN750 was designed for a 55mph speed limit. Nothing else needs to be said in regards to gearing...

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Me and KC was runnin down a usually vacant road along a reservoir today...I opened Bessie up to like 70 (in a 45mphzone) but it made me nervous....I was at like 6200 rpm....thats why I ride backroads and putt....

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Me and KC was runnin down a usually vacant road along a reservoir today...I opened Bessie up to like 70 (in a 45mphzone) but it made me nervous....I was at like 6200 rpm....thats why I ride backroads and putt....
Fun note, I ride freeway @ 80-90mph for extended periods of time on the VN. She has no problem, and has good pull even at 90. Not a rocket ship or anything but definitely enough to handle high speed freeways.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Has anyone considered that with it's higher gearing the bike has plenty of extra zip to ride safe on the highway without downshifting to pass going up a hill. And these engines prefer to run at higher rpms. Folks, It's a 750 with more hp than most cruiser 750s, especially the older ones.

We bought the bike because they are relatively cheap, good looking, and have a bit of extra pep. Still, It's an older design 750. If you want more bike cough up more money.

If you want a big low rpm cruiser go buy one. That or do like I do and accept the fact that we've got great looking, great riding bikes that generally won't break the wallet that were designed when the speed limit was 55. Very few of us ride more than 10% of the time over 5500 rpm and these engines don't max their torque until 6000 rpm and hp maxes out at over 7000 rpm. The double camshaft chains (2 chains per cylinder, cam tensioners only get the upper chains) with 4 cams and 8 valves are designed for higher rpm performance by using smaller, lighter weight, parts that can take higher revs all day long.

Unless you're planning to ride over 80-90 mph for extended periods of time these engines are fine and ready to put a smile on your face.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
wolfie if you was runnin 6200 at 70mph either you were in 4th gear or you got an issue with your bike

i run my bike all day long at 70mph and 5k rpm thats cruisin for me

and i can vouch that these bikes love getting close to the red line i ran 80 and 90 from dallas to houston 6k to 7.5k rpm range and the only thing i had to do is add a bit of oil cause my bike burns a bit of oil at that speed
thats over 300 miles at that speed and the bike had no problems at all

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
wolfie if you was runnin 6200 at 70mph either you were in 4th gear or you got an issue with your bike

i run my bike all day long at 70mph and 5k rpm thats cruisin for me

and i can vouch that these bikes love getting close to the red line i ran 80 and 90 from dallas to houston 6k to 7.5k rpm range and the only thing i had to do is add a bit of oil cause my bike burns a bit of oil at that speed
thats over 300 miles at that speed and the bike had no problems at all
At 5000 rpm my speedo shows 70 mph. My Garmin shows actual speed of 67.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
At 5000 rpm my speedo shows 70 mph. My Garmin shows actual speed of 67.
try running a 110 on the front it will correct that

1 - 20 of 49 Posts