Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hopefully this will help get the persons attention that is riding my rear fender one day. Wired to the brakes. Dumb or Cool?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The LED strip came from Auto Zone. The light shines to the side. Hardly see it until the brakes are applied. The power wire is feed thru the backrest tubing.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Hopefully this will help get the persons attention that is riding my rear fender one day. Wired to the brakes. Dumb or Cool?
COOL

I like added/increase of Brake Lights.

I may just copy your excellent method.

:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Agreed!! Looks pretty good!!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I like it.I am a BIG fan of not getting ran over by any thing :smiley_th:smiley_th:smiley_th

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
I like it a lot!!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
.....x4 !!!....'specially if ya ride in traffic a lot...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The LED strip came from Auto Zone. The light shines to the side. Hardly see it until the brakes are applied. The power wire is feed thru the backrest tubing.
Do the LEDs shine towards the inside on the leather?
If so, covering that leather piece with a white or chromed or polished reflector would multiply the visibility of the added brake light.

BTW...X5... I like it! :smiley_th

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
like it also:smiley_th

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I think we can all agree this is an excellent idea. I had thought about trying to add something on my toolbox lid, similiar to a third eye on a truck. Just haven't had time to do it yet. More things on list above it.

But, definitely two thumbs up ! :smiley_th:smiley_th

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
i was thinking of putting the big LED strips under the rear fender so they light up the rear tire when i hit the brakes

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
i was thinking of putting the big LED strips under the rear fender so they light up the rear tire when i hit the brakes
That would be different....has positive possibilities..... interested in seeing pics should you go that route.

:smiley_th

·
Registered
856 Posts
The thing I don't like about the idea of putting anything of that sort under the fender (especially for a set of stick on LED strips) is that all the dirt, grime, and water from riding is going to very quickly destroy whatever lighting you put under there. Never mind the possibility of said item coming unstuck and falling into your wheel and becoming intertwined into the wheel spokes while riding. Rare as the odds might be for something like that happening, the thought of it has kept me from attempting. Though I do agree that it wold likely look pretty cool.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
The thing I don't like about the idea of putting anything of that sort under the fender (especially for a set of stick on LED strips) is that all the dirt, grime, and water from riding is going to very quickly destroy whatever lighting you put under there. Never mind the possibility of said item coming unstuck and falling into your wheel and becoming intertwined into the wheel spokes while riding. Rare as the odds might be for something like that happening, the thought of it has kept me from attempting. Though I do agree that it wold likely look pretty cool.
that my dear brother is why i havent did it yet i want to wait until i take my fender off and repaint it so i can make sure it is all clean under there and get the lights mounted securely so they wont fall off easily

i also thought of mounting the strip inside a clear rubber tube before i put them under the fender so they wont get damaged as easy

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
The only problem with that is the lights will be lower instead of higher. Tests have shown brake lights get seen quicker if they are mounted closer to eye level.
That's why all new cars have that center brake light in or under the rear window.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
The only problem with that is the lights will be lower instead of higher. Tests have shown brake lights get seen quicker if they are mounted closer to eye level.
That's why all new cars have that center brake light in or under the rear window.
I like it!
I have an LED brake light mounted to the extended backrest as a secondary light....and it definately gets their attention since it is mounted high and normally not lit.

Mine is a simple red marker light from a trailer supply place.

Visibility is everything IMO.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
I always thought the easiest route was to just go to Wal mart and buy one of the rectangular trailer lights, and then just use it to replace the reflector on the stock tool box.

The one I might go to this summer is the wireless brake light that attaches to the back of your helmet.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts