Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I recently bought a 2000 VN750... Love the bike but as you can imagine it is an older bike with issues... One of the issues appears to be noise coming from the right side ACCT... Before I spend any money on it I want to make sure that the ACCT is the problem. Since my left side isn't making any noise would it be a valid test to swap them... and if the noise follows the ACCT then I know that is where the problem is???

thanks to all in advance...

-Daniel

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
See "grambo trick" in the engine section of the vulcan verses.
It is a simple, no cost test requiring only a wrench to remove the cap screw and a small screwdriver to put a little more pressure on the screw inside the ACCT. If the noise stops, you know the OEM spring is weak, and you need a replacement HD spring from TOC, or change to a Manual CCT.

LOL Duece posted while I was hunt and peck typing.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
If the noise stops, you know the OEM spring is weak, and you need a replacement HD spring from TOC, or change to a Manual CCT.
I recently changed my ACCT's to MCCT's and couldn't be happier knowing that an adjustment is seconds away.

You's a slow PECKer there Hoss! LOL

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
See "grambo trick" in the engine section of the vulcan verses.
It is a simple, no cost test requiring only a wrench to remove the cap screw and a small screwdriver to put a little more pressure on the screw inside the ACCT. If the noise stops, you know the OEM spring is weak, and you need a replacement HD spring from TOC, or change to a Manual CCT.

X2! do the Grambo trick to see if it helps. If it does, you know its the ACCT needing work. If not, it may be something else causing the noise. Most here will recommend the MCCT as a replacement, but I was one that rebuilt my ACCT's with new TOC heavier springs and the ACCT's were still going quietly along after another 15k miles before I sold the bike.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya guess I should've posted that I tried that last night... Afterwards I cranked it up and it wasn't as loud... but it was still pretty noisy...

Not really worried about the cost... I just hate replacing parts just to find out that the problem is still there... Either way converting to MCCT is on my list of things to do so maybe I should just go ahead and move forward with that...

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
TOC Manufacturing website;

http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/ACCT.htm

"TOC Manufacturing recommends that you replace the ACCT springs every 2 to 3 years".

Because of this statement on their website, I decided to go with their MCCT's. Good marketing or not, I didn't want to deat with them again if I didn't have to.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya... now that I read my original post seems like it makes sense to go ahead and convert to MCCT if i'm going to take the time to swap them anyways...

Good info guys... appreciate it.. :beerchug:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well... ordered a pair of TOC's MCCTs... Will hopefully have them early next week. Anybody know what size bolt Kawa used? Wanna see about picking up some different style bolts...

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
You won't be replacing a bolt but rather an acorn nut as the stud is embedded in the block. As to the thread size? IDK.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
The acorn nut is 6mm.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wanted to post an update... Received my MCCTs from TOC on Friday... Got around to replacing them on Sunday... didn't get to ride til yesterday... All I can say is WOW! The bike actually feels stronger... I really wasn't expecting that at all... Very pleasant surprise...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts