Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read in one of the posts at the Yahoo site about the clicking of the ACCT. Qusetion is, how loud is the clicking when you realize it needs
adjustment. I'm at the office so I don't have my book and I haven't
bought the Clymers yet, hence the question. She's an 04, 3 months old
and 3100 miles on her. I guess she is new enough to me that every
little noise is a "What's that!!!?" noise. Every once in a while I
hear a clicking that is lower (in volume)than the click from the
front brake switch but on the same order. (know what I mean)
Chilly

·
Registered
200 Posts
Chilly...I don't think you have anything to worry abt yet. I have not yet heard the what others have called an obvious 'clacking' sound...almost like marbles in a tin can, and I have just gotten to 29000mi on my 01. Believe me, I listen for it! If you hear a 'clicking' sound fr the top of the heads while you are at operating temps, it's probably valves, and could be telling you it's time to change oil. Next time you're out, bend down and listen...you're cam chains make a distinctive, metallic 'wwhhoooshh' sound...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info, didn't figure I should have to worry just yet, but getting an idea of what milage to look for and then go from there is what I needed. Again, thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
Get used to the noises it makes now, and just listen for changes in the future. Do we want to put up a pole for the number miles at which adjustment or replacement were required?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was worried as well about mine until I bought an 85 for my wife, it had the trouble, it sounded like shaking a paint can and hearing the marble clack against the bottom of the can, it mostly occured at idle. you can MAKE it occur, if you just want to be sure, by inserting screwdriver into adjuster with cap off top, carefully, not to turn very hard, with at idle, turn clockwise i think (winding spring, other direction will not turn far at all, then stops) screw should turn with only a winding feeling, you will feel a wobble vibration from the screw, if it is really wobbeling strongly, that is a sign of a weak spring and time to concider rebuilding the tensioner. you should hear noise within first turn, if not, dont keep turning much past a whole turn, and stop immeadiatly after you hear the noise, when you release the screw, the noise should go away as the tensioner does its job of unwinding the spring again. dont keep winding after you hear the noise come. you wouldnt want the chain to get so loose it comes off and damage your engine or mess up timing or anything.

Disclaimer: I wouldnt reccomend doing this on a new bike. ususlly no tropuble with this until over 12k miles. however, this proceedure is not for just anybody, and not going to say it is a good idea, but if you really want to hear it, that'll do it. any comments from the other wrenches, is this a bad idea?
beavis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts