Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya guys,

I think I may have done something that has caused detrimental damage.
I got my nice new shiny ACCT's from the Duece (Thanks), and converted them to MCCT's.

I inserted, and adjusted to remove the ticking. Rode to work the next day, Ran an errand on my Lunch break, and the bike would not start when I wanted to go back to work.

I got a push start, and it ran for 2 blocks, then stalled again. After calling for roadside assistance I had a brain fart moment, and loosened the bolts on the MCCT's and the bike fired right up. I cancelled the tow truck and rode the bike home without problem. Now, when start it up, the left side I can adjust to proper "no ticking noise" tension, BUT on the right side I have a problem. When I tension to stop the tick, as soon as there is no tick, the bike shuts down. Back it off, and it starts right back up again.

Did I tighten it too much somehow? If I did, what sort of damage could I have done? Am I potentially looking at a cam chain replacement? If so is this something that a newbie could attempt, or is it major motor surgery?

Am I screwed?
This is an 87 750. I am $2k in the bike at the moment. If the bike needs to undergo major surgery, should I cut my losses and part out the bike, or sell it running?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I am just curious about my options?

Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm more of a part time shade tree mechanic stumbling through a rebuild on our bike, as long as you have a service manual, the wonderful advice and direction from these forums & it's members, coupled with patients & determination, you'll be able to fix it and have a new understanding of your machine (priceless)

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
You will always have some ticking noise even when adjusted correctly. The Mcct's should have been adjusted to finger tight after installation. Then start it up and then again adjust Mcct's finger tight with engine running, and that is it no tighter. You can try to check the spring adjuster just above each Mcct's. They are under the large cap above, nothing will fall out just a spring is in there. The spring should be about 1 and 1/2 inches long.
My Mcct's even get a little more noise after the engine really get hot. I think this is normal for all the bikes, the chains expand after they get up to a hot temp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts