Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my biggest scare on Friday while out for a short ride, and I was just sitting still. I approached a "T" intersection that was on an incline to the left. I was waiting to make a turn to the left with traffic moving in both directions on the cross street. A car (red) approached on the right that wanted to turn left onto the road I was on. He stopped for oncoming traffic when another car (silver) came flying up behind him. There was no place the turning car could go as there was no shoulder, the car that was flying hit the brakes and attempted to pass on the left clipping the turning car. That sent the silver car heading straight at me. I let go of the front brake and rolled backward 3-4 inches when the silver car hit an oncoming pickup truck headon. Now both the truck and car were heading straight for me with plastic, glass, and metal flying. I could literally do nothing but pray. I was fortunate. They came to rest literally 2-3 inches from me and I was untouched.

Everyone was in shock and in a panic, including me. I tried to get out of there slowly and carefully to get out of the now spewing gas, anti-freeze, water, etc. I turned the handlebars too far to the left and being on a hill that inclined to the left, I started to tip over. I could not hold the bike so I let it go down as gentle as I could on me. Several Harley riders were at business across the street and immediately came running past the 2 accident victims (still in their vehicles) to me to ensure that I was ok and helped me right the bike. Bikers look out for Bikers!!!!

My body, my windshield, and my saddlebags with a pair of frog toggs packed inside, provided the cushion the Vulcan needed and it was totally untouched! Not a scratch, dent, or otherwise. As for me, I'm very sore today, but was not hit!

On the attached picture, the red circle is where I was sitting waiting to turn. The accident unfolded around me in a split second.

You don't have to be moving to be a victim. In my riders class they said to ride as if your head was on a swivel. How true, even when you are waiting to turn.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Close one! Too close! Glad you and the bike are OK.

Thanks for sharing this; it might help someone else, like me, remember to constantly be alert and have an escape plan in mind should the unexpected become reality!

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Damn! Glad you escaped that one, and it's good to hear some strangers came to check on ya as well.

Alot of **** can go wrong in a matter of seconds and without any input from us, and like you said, that right there is a perfect example.

I'm glad you're ok man. ;)

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,751 Posts
all I can say is "WOW"!
I am so glad that you rolled back and didn't get creamed! good thinking on your part!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow you are very fortunate, the Man upstairs was looking out for you. Glad you ok.

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Scary! Glad you got away unhurt. That's a good reminder to everyone, expect the unexpected.

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
I think it's time you polished that Gremlin bell. Wow! Glad you are ok.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hope they fine the crap out of the clown who caused it.....Idiots like that PISS ME OFF!!!:mad: Glad to hear you made it through unhurt! :smiley_th Ride on brother!:motorcycl

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Scary! Glad you got away unhurt. That's a good reminder to everyone, expect the unexpected.
And sometimes it's just great to be LUCKY...:rockon:...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
You're blessed!

Thanks for sharing the story, including the helpful photo. It's good to be reminded about safety issues again, and again, and again, and...

·
Registered
141 Posts
When it comes down to the nitty gritty, a biker is a biker. HD or metric we're brethren of sorts. I find it very interesting that the HD guys went past the others to get to you.
Idiot or not, the bozo in the silver car had seat belts, an air bag, and a cage around him/her. You had nothing. So if anyone in this accident had the worst position to be injured it'd have been you since you were unprotected.
Most excellent that both you and the bike rode away when it was all over! You didn't mention your underwear situation........

·
Registered
410 Posts
Good man cliff, glad you were ok. There is always an idiot somewhere not paying attention, probably texing messages, or watching tv, or reading the newspaper, i have seen so much of this bull crap, make it illegal, and make punishment high! It's got to stop, accidents have got through the roof since all the toys and gadjets have come around. What ever happened to taking pride in a drive or a ride!
Do it like Europe, both hands on the wheel, and phone,s built into the car.

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, you make this forum special. Yes, I give this a pucker factor of 10! I can't wait to get back on the bike and ride, just have to have another day over 40 to do it. I hope others learn from my experience, knowledge is power! Thanks again and take care, ride safe!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Certainly an excellent object lesson that it pays to be on guard constantly and ride as though every cage out there will attempt to kill you if given half the chance. Glad to hear that you came out of it needing to replace nothing more significant than a pair of underwear...

And kudos to the Harley guys. Always good to see bikers looking after bikers...

--FA

·
Registered
99 Posts
Glad to hear you are OK. My heartbeat increased just reading your story. I had a close call on the freeway the other day when a lady next to me started coming into my lane. Fortunately, I saw her and was able to move to the right side of my lane. Half way in, she saw me and went back into her own lane. Had I not seen her she would have knocked me over at 65mph.

I find myself getting too comfortable at stop lights and your story is a great example to always stay focused and alert. No more relaxing at stoplights for me.

Stay safe....

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Certainly good to hear you weren't involved in the crash!! :smiley_th
Like they say, ride like every one's out to get you!!
Ya never know what the next idiot is going to do!!

Did the goofball in the silver car have any (lame) reason to their act of stupidity?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I don't usually believe in guardian angels, but I think you've got one! :smiley_th

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A teenager was driving the silver car, his girlfriend was in the front seat. He told me he was going 40 because everyone does. The posted limit is 30. I think he was more afraid to tell his Dad then he was of the accident. I'm thinking he will be driving a Murray 10 speed for sometime to come. I hope his girlfriend is ok with riding on the handlebars...

The pickup driver agreed with me, if he had not been hit I most likely would have been mangled up pretty good. The impact of the car hitting the truck is what moved the car just to my right instead of into me.

I will keep my eyes moving all the time and will certainly approach this intersection with more caution in the future. My better half and I ride this route all the time but we will be far more cautious now.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
It is good practice when coming to a stop at a T intersection..or any intersection really... to stay as far right as you can. Unless they have seperate left and right turn lanes, then stay to the far right of the left lane when turning left.
Also stay as far back as you can still allowing yourself a good view down each direction of the road. This gives cars turning onto your road lots of room, and gives you a better buffer zone should things go bad.

I saw a horrid accident once where a van lost control, took out street sign and then t-boned a car waiting to turn right on the same road at a traffic light. The driver of the car was injured badly...and the sad part was that if he had stayed behind the white line at the stoplight, he never would have been hit. But although there was good visibility, he impatiently edged out past the line.

Cliff's accident was one of those deadly fears we try not to think about..that even with all the training in the world..sometimes you can be sitting still and have all hell break loose around you. If that guy in the pick up comimg at you down the two lane road suddenly has a heart attack and crosses the yellow line , there ain't much you can do but hope someone is watching over you and that you will somehow miracoulessly survive.

KM

1 - 20 of 25 Posts