Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went outside to hop on the bike to go and get some dinner. I took it off the battery tender and went to start the bike. Nothing!!! OK Brand new AGM battery had not more then 2 months! OK fine had my wet cell battery to use to jump start it so thought I will just use it to jump. I Hook the battery up to the tender clips and it started smoking dropped the battery spilling some acid on my hands. It caught the wires on fire and had to use the fire extinguisher to put it out. So after a few took out the battery cleared the burnt wires and put it all back together. Jump started the bike and took it for a spin. Everything running fine and turned it off. Now it won't start again!!! I think it put 24 volts on the system and fried something but don't know what yet. How would I find out???

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Not that you didn't already check but...check the fuses if you haven't already. Inspect inspect inspect....Im sure other much more advanced people will chime in...you will be saved my friend. These people are incredible.

·
Registered
900 Posts
and your battery tender may be bad as well.. I had one go out a few weeks ago.. kept telling me the battery was fully charged.. buuuuuzzzzzz.. wrong answer!.. but yeah.. the smoke fire acid part.. may have had it hooked up backwards....in some rare cases...a battery that is half dead or dieing and put on a charger that is either hooked up wrong or jacked up will acctualy reverse the poles on the battery.. so hooking up a good battery to a reversed battery.. ugly!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope checked both batteries and everything was hooked up correctly. positive to positive and neg to neg should have been no problem. The plug from the tender is a no brainer it has red for positive and black for neg. Therefore everything was hooked up just fine!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Is your AGM battery shorted?

DT

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts
Not a Scorpion battery is it? Mine lasted about 16 months. Chinese quality!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How would I find that out DT? I can jump it and everything runs fine but I shut it off and nothing!!! I took it out last night and ran it for about 30 Min on the road (freeway) and then shut it down and still won't start! I am thinking Stator???

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes Flight it is a scorpion! I have had it less then 2 months!

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts
Mine showed 12+ volts, but the instrument lights were extremely dim when the key was on. Turned out it had ZERO amps. Like yours, I could jump mine off and as long as the cables were attached, it ran fine. Disconnect and bike died. Check amps with a meter. If it's bad, get a Deka, East Penn or Big Crank. Only cost a few dollars more than the crappy Scorpion, and they are US made and quality built!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I will do that! I was also planning on taking the battery down to autozone and having them test it to see about a dead cell! If I jump it it runs fine no problem and stays running with the cables off but I won't restart when I shut it off. I knew the price of this battery was too good to be true!

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts
Yeah, penny pinching me thought the same thing! Hopefully, you can get a refund. Lance has a link to the Deka that fits our bikes on ebay. That's what I got for a replacement.

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Nope checked both batteries and everything was hooked up correctly. positive to positive and neg to neg should have been no problem. The plug from the tender is a no brainer it has red for positive and black for neg. Therefore everything was hooked up just fine!
On mine when I use the clamps to jump throught the same wires that I use to hook up the tender, I have to reverse the wires and hook up the red to ground and the black to hot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts