Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have insight into ABS plastic repairs? I have a saddle bag and a fairing in need of some TLC crack repairs. I've looked up Plastifix $40, plundered through YouTube videos watching videos using an acetone or acetone/abs slurry, etc. Just wondering if anyone in the group has had any experience with repairing plastic pieces.

I tried to search the forums but didn't find anything useful.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Kinda matters where the crack is, how big it is, and does it receive any stress.

Some small cracks can be fixed with crazy glue. Some need extra support, like backing the crack with something like a fabric.

They do make a glue specificly for plastics:
ePlastics Mobile Store

There are several videos online about ABS repair, using a variety of glues or chemicals. MEK is the cheapest.
Perhaps if you put up some photos we'd know more of what would work best.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
I've read on crotch rocket forums that acetone softens up ABS and Lego is made of ABS and some have used it to repair cracks in ABS. Haven't tried it myself though

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've watched YouTube video's plastic mending performed with a flat tip soldering iron and when needed, utilized zip ties (ABS?) as a filler and/or additional reinforcement support. Completed repair appeared as (medical) stitches on backside of the completed project.
....claimed quite strong overall to include _some_ stress areas.
I have not attempted this repair....

:confused:
WilliamTech3_ :)

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I read somewhere about mixing super glue with some kind of powder to fill cracks. The guy also used the mix on guitar bodies.

I've fixed some atv parts with fiberglas mat and resin.

ABS glues very well, you can glue a patch on the back side for structure if it isn't seen. ABS pipe cement sets really quick and doesn't let go.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If the repair needs to be strong, use the ABS cement patch Spockster brought up. The melting method is tricky, messy, and doesn't hold well unless done just right.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all, I'll give the ABS pipe glue a shot. I'll post pic's when I am done. Thank you all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Making some head way on repairing the lowers for the fairing. First, I sanded down to the factory ABS. Next I made an ABS slurry mix using 3D printing ABS and Acetone.

Starting with the backside I used the slurry to build-up and reinforce bolt holes. On the cracks I used the slurry to prep the area, then cut varying lengths of printing ABS to be used as "stitches" to reinforce the cracks. I then added slurry on top of them to bond it all together.

Now I wait 24 hours and slurry the front to fill in the cracks. Next up the fairing, I'll repeat filling in cracks and stitching weak points.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts