Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read about this $80 device, Traction Control Brakes (TCB) that is supposed to emulate Anti-Lock Braking (ABS). The small device replaces the Banjo Bolt that attaches your brake line to the Master Cylinder or the Brake Calipers (can install it at either end).

Their URL is http://www.tractioncontrolsystems.com

Has anyone installed one of these on their Vulcan? If so, I'd be interested in your feedback. I'm considering this for my Vulcan and my Honda VTX1300.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump - I guess no one here has ever tried this gizmo?

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have something similar attached to the front brake of my road bike (the pedal kind). Basically, it is a spring, mounted inline on the brake cable that acts like a little shock absorber. Grab the brake fast and hard and the spring expands preventing wheel lockup.

This device looks similar.

They take a little bit of getting use to (at least on a pedal bike), much like going from an automobile standard brake system to power assist. There is a little bit of float when you first hit the brakes with power assist that does not exist with the standard system.

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
I'd like to see some user reviews, and I couldn't find any.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I'd be interested to read some reviews on this myself. Looks Interesting.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Never heard of it before either, but I would like to see some reviews.

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
OK, I'm trying to understand the physics at play here. I understand how this would work on the front brake but it's when the rear brake gets locked up that the trouble starts. The rear brake locks up and starts to go sideways. You release the rear brake and the bike highsides. Since our rear brake is not hydraulic I don't think this will solve the problem for us.

Of course it's been 25 years since I sat in a physics class so I'm open to correction here.

R

·
Super Moderator
11,993 Posts
I'd like to see some user reviews, and I couldn't find any.

http://www.tcbbrakesystems.com/tcb-testimonials.html

(keep in mind these are provided by the maker of the device...)

I have to say that from what I read, there seems to be very little difference in what this thing says it does and just letting a bit of air in your braking system.

They even say there is no guarentee that your wheel will not lock, just that it would be harder for you to do...again much like adding a bit of air to your break line.

This seems to me to be a good device for those too lazy to take the time to learn how to use their brakes properly. You are in fact making your brakes "weaker", so I worry when you really need to stop your bike ...NOW... , that you will be unable to.

Seems most of the "testimonials" were from older riders on what looked like huge bikes , and unknown years of experiance riding.

I also noted there were no testimonials of using these brakes in wet condtions, and of course no background testing to show that the rider could have stopped in a shorter distance without the system installed. Some times a foot or two can make alot of difference.

I have seen alot of data on real ABS systems and would be the first to reccomend them if you have that option. This "total control" system looks to me like a poor mans replacement, much in the same vein as tinting your headlight bulb blue so its "just like those high end HID lights" (when in fact you are actualy decreasing the amount of light produced)

Take the time to learn how your brakes work and practice panic stops in a safe area on a regular basis.

KM

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Think you're right, KM.

·
Registered
738 Posts
OK, I'm trying to understand the physics at play here. I understand how this would work on the front brake but it's when the rear brake gets locked up that the trouble starts. The rear brake locks up and starts to go sideways. You release the rear brake and the bike highsides. Since our rear brake is not hydraulic I don't think this will solve the problem for us.

Of course it's been 25 years since I sat in a physics class so I'm open to correction here.

R
About 70%-75% of a bikes braking power is in the front wheel. However, that high percentage is not available right from the start. As you brake the front-end becomes loaded, shifting the weight/momentum to the front tire, thereby increasing braking capacity. That's why you need to continue to 'sqeeze' the front brake to maintain a constant stopping velocity. I believe that this device, like the one on my pedal bike, simply prevents sudden over braking, especially during the start of the braking process. Grab the brake hard and this device delays the full pressure from reaching the brake immediately. However, you can still squeeze hard enough to overwhelm the device and lock the wheel, at least I can on my pedal bike. Only a true anti-lock system can compensate for that situation.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the discussion on this. After reading it all, I think I'm going to leave my brakes alone :)

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
..."total control" system looks to me like a poor mans replacement, much in the same vein as tinting your headlight bulb blue so its "just like those high end HID lights" (when in fact you are actualy decreasing the amount of light produced)...KM
ROTFL :D Just like all the poser kids around here that buy a clapped out Honda Civic and stick a bug sprayer exhaust and a bunch of yellow decals on it and think they've got a tuner car.:loser1:

R

1 - 15 of 15 Posts