Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Let me know...
About those cupholders... I like them, you did very well making them. But I've got my eyes on a set of saddlebags that have cupholders on the front of the bags. Now, I will also add that I generally won't try to take a drink of anything while I'm riding.

·
Registered
38 Posts
About those cupholders... I like them, you did very well making them. But I've got my eyes on a set of saddlebags that have cupholders on the front of the bags. Now, I will also add that I generally won't try to take a drink of anything while I'm riding.
I like it. Are you going to put the Vulcan tank emblems back on or would you be interested in selling them?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for letting me know about the size difference. Hmmmm, what would be the best way to approach that? Get a handlebar that's 7/8", look for different switch covers, or try to make up the 1/8" somehow?

Yeah, I noticed how small those triangular mirrors are. They look cool, but definitely too small.

What about these? Yep, made for Harley, but I can fabricate an adapter:
View attachment 54389
Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

As you can see here 1 inch bars are definitely doable! I ended up making a custom set up for my bike I just like the feel of Harley Davidson controls so much more than stock plus mine were busted. Let me know if you need some pointers on how to do this Mod

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
View attachment 54434
As you can see here 1 inch bars are definitely doable! I ended up making a custom set up for my bike I just like the feel of Harley Davidson controls so much more than stock plus mine were busted. Let me know if you need some pointers on how to do this Mod
I'll definitely be hitting you up for some pointers! My brother does a lot of work with carbon fiber, and I was thinking of replacing the stock bars with that. I love the Harley controls, too, so It's definitely a possibility.

That looks like a powdercoated tank? I had mine and the fenders powdercoated, except I went with a matte/satin type of finish. (Ultimately, just easier to keep clean. Glossy paint shows every little smudge and I'm lazy.)

Can you share a pic from the front and slightly above? Looks cool, man.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll definitely be hitting you up for some pointers! My brother does a lot of work with carbon fiber, and I was thinking of replacing the stock bars with that. I love the Harley controls, too, so It's definitely a possibility.

That looks like a powdercoated tank? I had mine and the fenders powdercoated, except I went with a matte/satin type of finish. (Ultimately, just easier to keep clean. Glossy paint shows every little smudge and I'm lazy.)

Can you share a pic from the front and slightly above? Looks cool, man.
All right so my paint job is a little bit odd it’s actually truck bedliner. I wanted to powder coat but I decided that truck bedliner would be more durable.
I’m waiting until a nice day so I can show off my bike completely!

Bicycle handlebar Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

Fuel tank Tire Automotive fuel system Wheel Vehicle

Wheel Crankset Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

And with these controls I have a self canceling turn signal unit

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
All right so my paint job is a little bit odd it’s actually truck bedliner. I wanted to powder coat but I decided that truck bedliner would be more durable.
I’m waiting until a nice day so I can show off my bike completely!
And with these controls I have a self canceling turn signal unit
Bedliner is BRILLIANT! Regarding the powder-coating, I went with a total of 6 layers. It's guaranteed not to scratch or he'll do it again for free.

Those look like the exact same controls I was going to order, except I was going for the chrome ones. How does the self cancelling turn signals work? By distance traveled, a timer or what? Apparently mine (an '06) is supposed to have self cancelling but I I have no idea how or if it works.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bedliner is BRILLIANT! Regarding the powder-coating, I went with a total of 6 layers. It's guaranteed not to scratch or he'll do it again for free.

Those look like the exact same controls I was going to order, except I was going for the chrome ones. How does the self cancelling turn signals work? By distance traveled, a timer or what? Apparently mine (an '06) is supposed to have self cancelling but I I have no idea how or if it works.
It can detect if you turn And will turn the signal off if you do and depending on how long you push the buttons for is how long the blinkers last. For example a one second press is three seconds of blinkers two seconds is seven seconds of blinkers etc. it’s a really handy little unit it does everything. And to my knowledge and my friends Vulcan 750 from 06 they don’t have self canceling

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
I like it. Are you going to put the Vulcan tank emblems back on or would you be interested in selling them?
I just now saw this, sorry for missing it. I destroyed those emblems in the process of removing them. Apparently, they'd been loose and the previous owner re-attached them with JB-Weld. There was no saving them. If I had managed to get them off clean, I would have just given them to you. Sorry to disappoint! I bet you can find them online rather cheap, though.

Reactions: Beaker

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It can detect if you turn And will turn the signal off if you do and depending on how long you push the buttons for is how long the blinkers last. For example a one second press is three seconds of blinkers two seconds is seven seconds of blinkers etc. it’s a really handy little unit it does everything. And to my knowledge and my friends Vulcan 750 from 06 they don’t have self canceling
Okay, thanks for the info. The manual says they do, so I wonder if that was like an optional accessory at the time?

Black Font Line Terrestrial plant Document

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The self canceling signals were on the earlier 750’s, read plenty on here that they were wonky at best.
Dangit, you posted that right after I submitted a post with a screen shot. So, mine being an '06 means it's not on there? Not that I care, every bike I've ever had was manual engage/disengage. It's not too big a deal, but definitely a neat feature that could be quite... ahem... handy.

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It might be. Can you take a picture of the handlebar switch for turn signals? Most of the ones I’ve worked on have been just a little flip-flop. And does your switch spring back when you switch it?
Nope, it doesn't spring back to center. Another user pointed out that it was on older models. Mine's an '06, so I'm not sure. I'm guessing not.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just now saw this, sorry for missing it. I destroyed those emblems in the process of removing them. Apparently, they'd been loose and the previous owner re-attached them with JB-Weld. There was no saving them. If I had managed to get them off clean, I would have just given them to you. Sorry to disappoint! I bet you can find them online rather cheap, though.
Not a problem was curious. I have some vinyl ones my sister made me on her cricut machine did a good job. I need to spray clear coat over then so they don't peel.

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
A picture was here, but to save bandwidth it's now gone...
Gorgeous! Amazing condition! And sooooo clean! What year is your Vulcan and what part of the world are you in?

I'd like to get my engine that clean, but I fear that the previous owner's neglect has made that an impossible task. I may try to paint the engine black and then polish the edges of the fins in the future, but that's a job for the winter....

Reactions: Beaker

·
Registered
38 Posts
Gorgeous! Amazing condition! And sooooo clean! What year is your Vulcan and what part of the world are you in?

I'd like to get my engine that clean, but I fear that the previous owner's neglect has made that an impossible task. I may try to paint the engine black and then polish the edges of the fins in the future, but that's a job for the winter....
She is a 1999, I live in the Houston, Texas area. Originally from Clifton Colorado. She was a good find. Was in a person's garage for 16 years with a full tank of gas. Radiator was rotted out. Found a lot of the parts I needed from eBay. Many hours working on the motorcycle. Have one issue trying to solve, coolant is getting close to red when I drive home from work. I think that is the way it is because it is 99 and 106 with heat index.

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
She is a 1999, I live in the Houston, Texas area. Originally from Clifton Colorado. She was a good find. Was in a person's garage for 16 years with a full tank of gas. Radiator was rotted out. Found a lot of the parts I needed from eBay. Many hours working on the motorcycle. Have one issue trying to solve, coolant is getting close to red when I drive home from work. I think that is the way it is because it is 99 and 106 with heat index.
Wish I'd been so lucky. Mine's an '06 with just over 8500 original miles, but she spent the better part of two years in an exposed shed outside.

But, she's coming along!

Here's my new mirrors:

Plant Land vehicle Fuel tank Tire Vehicle

21 - 40 of 48 Posts