Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Looking really sharp. My bike has the same stock paint scheme as yours. Although I swapped out the side covers for chrome ones. Perhaps this year I will change my tank's colors. I can't really tell what color you chose (kind of looks greenish blue?). I also like your mirrors over my round ones. Keep up the good work.

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking really sharp. My bike has the same stock paint scheme as yours. Although I swapped out the side covers for chrome ones. Perhaps this year I will change my tank's colors. I can't really tell what color you chose (kind of looks greenish blue?). I also like your mirrors over my round ones. Keep up the good work.
Thanks! And everything is black. I had the tank and fenders sandblasted and then powdercoated. Next to impossible to chip or scratch powdercoating. I would love to have some chrome side covers, mine are stock black. I think what might be throwing you off is that there are no Vulcan logos anywhere. At some point I'll add the chrome sidecovers, or I'll do them myself. It's actually fairly easy, but I'm lazy!

I hate my mirrors, so if you're interested in a swap, let me know. I was planning on ordering some that sort of look like aviator sunglasses.

Thanks for the reply, and I'm serious about swapping mirrors if you're interested?

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Whoops, I should mention that the BOTTOM picture is how she looks now. The TOP picture is how I got her. Before & after, ya know?

Here's a picture of the tank right after I put on a brand new, OEM gas cap. ($200!!!!!!!:mad:)

Peripheral Input device Office equipment Office supplies Computer hardware

·
Registered
285 Posts
I figured the top was factory. I could not tell the bike was black. Is that a satin finish or is it just cloudy? Still looks good. Was there any problem getting the gas tank coated? I have often wondered about the heat. In the old days you couldn't find anyone to even agree to solder or braze a old tank, bike or car). Everyone was swearing they would explode like a bomb. Ever try to braze a thin metal tank full of water?

Still looks good. I will probably keep my mirrors for now. One doesn't like to stay set (it is kind of scratched from being dropped a few times). Plus anything eztra from my bike works on my son's bike. I love having 2 basically identical bikes in the garage.

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The finish is sort of between matte and satin. Coating the tank was a breeze. Simply empty the fuel, remove petcock, cap, and fuel float sensor, allow all traces of fuel to evaporate by setting the tank out in the direct sunlight, or, place in an industrial oven like he did. Then, seal all openings with aluminum foil and sandblast.

Powdercoating relies upon running a positive electrical current through the item, and the powder machine is the ground. It's really neat to watch it being done. The powder floats through the air and is drawn to the metal almost as if magnetized. And, there's very little loss of powder.

No worries on mirrorrs, lol, I'll probably order those aviator style ones I saw.

Stay safe and happy riding!

·
Registered
792 Posts
I like it! Matte/satin finish is really growing on me!

If you want to take the all black theme a bit further, I bought clear/smoke lenses for my rear signals and taillight.
I switched my tail light bulbs to red LED.
My turn signals I rewired to be red running, red brake, amber turn signals.
I never changed out the front signals from stock.
You could drop some amber 1156 bulbs (led or incandescent) in there instead of rewiring.
I even put some tinting over the rear reflector to finish the blackout look, though I went a bit too dark with the tinting.

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel

Tire Wheel Sky Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like it! Matte/satin finish is really growing on me!

If you want to take the all black theme a bit further, I bought clear/smoke lenses for my rear signals and taillight.
I switched my tail light bulbs to red LED.
My turn signals I rewired to be red running, red brake, amber turn signals.
I never changed out the front signals from stock.
You could drop some amber 1156 bulbs (led or incandescent) in there instead of rewiring.
I even put some tinting over the rear reflector to finish the blackout look, though I went a bit too dark with the tinting.

View attachment 54382
View attachment 54383
I love it! I can't wait to get my saddle bags.

And, you're gonna love this: That red reflector you painted over on the rear tool/cargo box? So, I haven't done this yet, but I have all the stuff to do it.. I'm going to convert that into an additional brake light. Rather easy, just remove the reflector (heat gun/blow dryer works great) drill a small hole in the center of the black plastic behind the reflector, add a single red LED and splice directly into the existing brake light harness. The LED consumes such a low amount of voltage, it will have little to no impact.

Here's a few things on my existing shopping list:

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gadget Font

Yes, these are made for Harley, but it's rather simple to rewire to accommodate the difference. I could just buy chrome switch covers, but all of my switches are faded, so this is how I'm going to justify it, lol! :ROFLMAO:

Next up, replacing my stock mirrors. I don't like that square-ish look. So here's the first option I like:
Wheel Tire White Vehicle Automotive lighting

However, these might be too small to see well. So, I'm not quite decided yet..

Mirror option #2:
Automotive lighting Automotive design Eyewear Font Jewellery

You can never go wrong with more "chrome", am I right? These sort of remind me of aviator sunglasses. These seem classier, and sort of retro in a way, but not awkwardly so.

Finally, I want to add these turn signals:

Glasses Goggles Vision care Sunglasses Product

I like these a lot. Simple, elegant, and multi-functional.

I like these for the handgrips:
Automotive tire Tire Camera accessory Automotive lighting Camera lens

And at some point, I'm going to replace the headlight with an LED system.

I've also got two of these 6 foot long LED strips that are powered by 3 AAA batteries. You can change the colors, make them slowly fade in and out, pulse, and can even be set to come on only when in motion. They came with remotes, too. I got both at Walmart back around Christmas, and I've going to mount them to run along underneath the tank, below the seat and down the side of the rear fender. Instead of using the adhesive strip that they came with, I'm going to use clear heat-shrink tubing over them and then mount with zip-ties. Those will look neat when they're done.

Sorry for the extremely long reply! You got me all excited showing me your blacked out Vulcan!

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Those switches are going to be 1/8" too large for stock bars. Our bars are 7/8".

The last set of mirrors are what I'm using and they're decent mirrors. I liked the Emgo El Chico mirrors better, but couldn't find any when I broke one of the pair. I liked the shape and the sight picture on the rectangular El Chico. Those triangle mirrors will be too small and probably too short unless you're checking out your shoulders.

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those switches are going to be 1/8" too large for stock bars. Our bars are 7/8".

The last set of mirrors are what I'm using and they're decent mirrors. I liked the Emgo El Chico mirrors better, but couldn't find any when I broke one of the pair. I liked the shape and the sight picture on the rectangular El Chico. Those triangle mirrors will be too small and probably too short unless you're checking out your shoulders.
Thanks for letting me know about the size difference. Hmmmm, what would be the best way to approach that? Get a handlebar that's 7/8", look for different switch covers, or try to make up the 1/8" somehow?

Yeah, I noticed how small those triangular mirrors are. They look cool, but definitely too small.

What about these? Yep, made for Harley, but I can fabricate an adapter:
Silver Font Jewellery Nickel Body jewelry

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Thanks for letting me know about the size difference. Hmmmm, what would be the best way to approach that? Get a handlebar that's 7/8", look for different switch covers, or try to make up the 1/8" somehow?

Yeah, I noticed how small those triangular mirrors are. They look cool, but definitely too small.

What about these? Yep, made for Harley, but I can fabricate an adapter:
View attachment 54389
Same problem, small and short, and it's easier to get the correct threads.

Been so long.... Do our mirrors have left hand threads on one side? Or is that a Yamaha?

My friend stuck some of those mirrors on a Vrod and he had to duck and stretch to see behind him. Seems like the picture always makes them look a lot bigger than they are.

You have 7/8" bars now. Don't think I've ever seen any aftermarket switch covers for our bikes. Maybe paint yours? Could be tricky not making the buttons stick.

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Same problem, small and short, and it's easier to get the correct threads.

Been so long.... Do our mirrors have left hand threads on one side? Or is that a Yamaha?

My friend stuck some of those mirrors on a Vrod and he had to duck and stretch to see behind him. Seems like the picture always makes them look a lot bigger than they are.

You have 7/8" bars now. Don't think I've ever seen any aftermarket switch covers for our bikes. Maybe paint yours? Could be tricky not making the buttons stick.
I've actually found aftermarket covers for the vn750 that are chrome. I just wanted something a little less "boxy"....

·
Registered
792 Posts
Here's a demo of my rear lighting (before I changed the taillight to black lens with LEDs)

I thought about the handlebar end lights for my bike. But since they shine 360 degrees, I was worried they would shine back in my face. I already have issues with the dash lights reflecting off the windshield at night. Otherwise I like the idea of having some light at the widest point of the bike. Keep people from getting too close.

In the front, I grabbed some of those LED signals designes to wrap around the forks. I instead put them on the Airbox covers.

I added some super bright driving lights.

They add SO much light when driving at night!

For the side, I replaced the side reflectors with ones that have a built-in LED.

I posted about each of these over in the electrical forum.

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a demo of my rear lighting (before I changed the taillight to black lens with LEDs)

I thought about the handlebar end lights for my bike. But since they shine 360 degrees, I was worried they would shine back in my face. I already have issues with the dash lights reflecting off the windshield at night. Otherwise I like the idea of having some light at the widest point of the bike. Keep people from getting too close.

In the front, I grabbed some of those LED signals designes to wrap around the forks. I instead put them on the Airbox covers.

I added some super bright driving lights.

They add SO much light when driving at night!

For the side, I replaced the side reflectors with ones that have a built-in LED.

I posted about each of these over in the electrical forum.
Wow dude, it's so cool to meet somebody who shares the same ideas! I can't watch YouTube right now because all I have is satellite internet and it sucks. My mobile data is also spotty at best. But, I live on a mountain in the middle of the woods with an incredible view and so much wildlife to enjoy. I'll check our your vids when I head into town.

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a demo of my rear lighting.........
I finally got around to watching your videos. Excellent work! Regarding the reflector/turn signal conversion, did you add some sort of m/f adapter so that you could easily unplug them? To simplify the removal of those plastic covers when needed?

I'm assuming you did, but you know what they say about assuming? That's right! When you assume that it's a fart, you could be wrong.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I finally got around to watching your videos. Excellent work! Regarding the reflector/turn signal conversion, did you add some sort of m/f adapter so that you could easily unplug them? To simplify the removal of those plastic covers when needed?

I'm assuming you did, but you know what they say about assuming? That's right! When you assume that it's a fart, you could be wrong.:ROFLMAO:
I honestly don't remember now! :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I honestly don't remember now! :ROFLMAO:
Well, I'm thinking when I do the same, I'll probably add some "breakaway" style connectors. This way, if I try to remove them but completely forget (like you have apparently done) about the wiring, it will just pop loose.

I just posted a windshield I bought today, go have a look and tell me what you think.

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I already have issues with the dash lights reflecting off the windshield at night.
Regarding this comment you made about the dash lights reflecting off the windshield....

Since I'm about to add a windshield to mine, I was thinking of a way to try to prevent that. I wonder how hard it would be to make a sort of "divider" between the gauges and the windshield?

My brother is a genius with 3D printing, and I was thinking of having him make me a little plastic "plate" that would go over the indicator lights. Below is the basic idea. The colored holes you see could be any shape I want, even little skulls like my user pic here. I could make the turn signals into little arrows, or, I could even use letters, like L for left, R, for right, etc....

What do you think?

Speedometer Vehicle Plant Odometer Trip computer

OR, I could just order this to replace the RPM gauge, and remove that little indicator section entirely, and fill that spot with a small battery monitor. Like this:

Vehicle Land vehicle Speedometer Motorcycle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
792 Posts
Let me know what you guys come up with, I'd be interested in some sort of cover.
I haven't pursued it much myself because my limited 3D design/printing skills are all function and don't look very good.
The aftermarket tach also looks pretty sweet!

Speaking of 3D printed, did you see my cup holders and custom crampbuster (throttle wrist rest)?
Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Cup holder
I have an updated design that's lighter weight and has drainage holes, but I haven't uploaded that one yet.
This one still works just fine, it's just a little wasteful on material.
In the picture above, the left one is the old design and the right one is the new design.
It will hold a standard 16.9 oz water bottle and will also fit a Yeti Rambler® 30 OZ Tumbler.

Cup holder bar adaptor
This version broke after 1 year. I beefed up the design a bit but I haven't uploaded it yet.
It needs a bit more of a fillet where the cup holder tab meets the C clamp.
But this file should get you most of the way there.
The updated version also had a slightly tighter fit to the cup holder itself.
I never had one fall off, but this was done as a preventative measure.
Mine are resting on some windshield clamps, so I can't say if they slide down over time or not.

Throttle Rest (I'm using this version)
I have it adjusted for 60-75 mph comfortable cruising with my hand resting on the bar.
I've had it over a year and it's never moved/slipped on me.
The angle allows me to slide my hand up the grip and not have to reach around or over it when letting off the throttle.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Speaking of 3D printed, did you see my cup holders and custom crampbuster (throttle wrist rest)?
View attachment 54409

Cup holder
I have an updated design that's lighter weight and has drainage holes, but I haven't uploaded that one yet.
This one still works just fine, it's just a little wasteful on material.
In the picture above, the left one is the old design and the right one is the new design.
It will hold a standard 16.9 oz water bottle and will also fit a Yeti Rambler® 30 OZ Tumbler.

Cup holder bar adaptor
This version broke after 1 year. I beefed up the design a bit but I haven't uploaded it yet.
It needs a bit more of a fillet where the cup holder tab meets the C clamp.
But this file should get you most of the way there.
The updated version also had a slightly tighter fit to the cup holder itself.
I never had one fall off, but this was done as a preventative measure.
Mine are resting on some windshield clamps, so I can't say if they slide down over time or not.

Throttle Rest (I'm using this version)
I have it adjusted for 60-75 mph comfortable cruising with my hand resting on the bar.
I've had it over a year and it's never moved/slipped on me.
The angle allows me to slide my hand up the grip and not have to reach around or over it when letting off the throttle.
Excellent work! Love those big mirrors, too. (Not a fan of round mirrors, but I like that they're big!)

My brother got into 3D printing about ten years ago, maybe longer. Right when those things first became available to the everyman, he had one.

You ever heard of para-motoring? For now, I'll assume not. Hanging by a parachute with a big propeller strapped to your back. Well, he was having some problems with one of those engines, so he sent it out west back to the manufacturer.

They fixed his problem, but the owner asks my brother, "Where did you get this gauge setup?" (It's a thing he made that houses the common indicators for altitude and airspeed, fuel, etc...) So, Brandon says "I 3D printed it."

The owner says "How much would you charge me for one?'

Brandon said "I dunno, twenty bucks?"

The owner replied, "Great! I'll take a thousand of them. When can you have them complete?"

And the rest of the story is funnier when Brandon tells it, but basically, he thought that the owner just wanted one for himself, but no, that guy now re-sells them for more than double what Brandon charges for them.

He's made some really neat stuff, intricate. Maybe I'll have to put you two in touch. OH! There was this other thing he made... So, there's this electric bicycle that is real popular, but the batteries are crazy expensive, right? Brandon and his wife each have one. So Brandon prints (and wires up) an adapter so that he can use Dewalt power tool batteries on the bike, and as far as I remember he ended up selling a whole lot of those, too. I'll get you some pics of that stuff if your interested in seeing his work. I know he has a bunch on thingiverse as well.

Here I go again, writing like I'm working on one of my novels. Sorry! Ttyl!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts