Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this bike up in pieces for $300. Its a 1994 with 9k on it. The PO had no mechanical ability and tried to turn it into a bobber. Which just consisted of taking off the fenders painting it with black spray paint without disassembling anything and taking the exhaust off.

So far i have done the following.
1. Reduced the wiring harness to the bare minimum. It will only have the ignition (KEY), headlight, tail,light,and fan. The kill switch and start button will be relocated to the battery area.

2. Rear shocks will be removed and replace with struts, lowering the bike about 3.5". The front end will be modified internally to allow lowering with minimal fork tube sticking above the top clamp. Clip on bars will be used and the bar mount on the top tree will be cut off and smoothed down. I had custom spacers made to use the clip on bars from an early GSXR.

3. HERES THE UNIQUE PART, at least i have never seen it done before. I am running a cast iron tractor seat mounted to a high end bicycle air shock with adjustable gate, preload and rebound. the seat is actually VERY comfortable because of its shape, im just worried about it heating up in the sun!

4. The rear tire will be a bit narrower and the front a bit wider to even them out some.

5. A lot of tabs that wont be used were cut off the frame. I still have to fabricate the seat mount and fender bracket. The seat bracket will be welded to a steel plate that will bolt to the frame, so underneath the seat will be clean looking and u wont see wiring/ battery.

It will be painted flat olive drab and flat black with some gloss black accent pieces.

Give me your opinions.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think the bobber's look awesome!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
knowing a thing or two about the old tractor seat ,they are comfy, but if the heat and lack of padding gets to you,tractor supply did sell a vinyl padded cover for them.Some just had a drawstring and some had elastic around the bottom. They just slip over the seat without any alterations.I think with a little vinyl fabric and closed cell foam you could sew one up for cheap and use it when you need it and slip it off when you don't.Just throwing an idea out there:smiley_th

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Not my style, but it looks like you have done good work so far. :smiley_th

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think the adjustable air shock will give enough adjustment to make it comfy. I thought about carving a pad out of minicell foam and attaching it with magnets.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
$300? Nice find. Glad you posted pics. Keep us updated with more pics as you go along This is eye candy for us.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yup $300, he knocked off the air boxes and took off the exhaust which he tossed. Then it "wasn't running right", DUH... so his friends uncle offered to "fix it" AKA take it apart with no clue wut he was doing. So, i got the bike and a huge box of parts. Had it running within a week. This build will be complete for under $1000.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
I guess it's Ok stripping out the wiring & Gauges if you don't care if it has good oil pressue or if your over-heating or not.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oil pressure not really an issue if oil level is right... as far as overheating, i will smell it.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Then I take it that you don't know about the "Burp issue" with the 750s.
A few bikes could of bit the dust without the oil warning light showing that there was no oil pressure.

And I won't get in to the problems with the cooling fan kicking on or at the right time.

oil pressure not really an issue if oil level is right... as far as overheating, i will smell it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Then I take it that you don't know about the "Burp issue" with the 750s.
A few bikes could of bit the dust without the oil warning light showing that there was no oil pressure.

And I won't get in to the problems with the cooling fan kicking on or at the right time.
i am wiring the fan into the ignition so it is always on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jthill (above) has just given some great input for you to be aware of as you continue designing.

Still, I am amazed with the painting of carbs/engine, (magnificent). I wanted to do something like that for mine but was concerned with overheating issues. I absolutely love what you did and shall endeavor to paint mine also. I just need to research for good paint that wont cause heating issues.

Did you paint the carb pieces individually? or assembled? Ride safe.
they were painted partially assembled, all the moving parts were taken apart and painted separate so there was no gumming them up.

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Bobbers / choppers are not my cup of tea, but glad it's working for you. Keep us posted!

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
got the edges of the cooling flanges cleaned up and made struts to replace the shocks.
Looks great! Love the black paint job on the engine.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
See the 1985 700 im sitting on in my profile pic. I paid 300 hundred for it with a bad stator. A real steal

1 - 20 of 50 Posts