Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Supporting vendor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Choosing the right helmet is one of the most important steps in gathering a set of safe riding gear. That is because your head is a vital part of your body that can easily get hurt in case of an accident. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous partly because of reckless and inattentive car and truck drivers who tend to maneuver without giving way to motorcycles. It means that you need to be prepared as well as possible.

First of all, the style of the helmet is largely dictated by the type of your bike and your riding habits. In this video, our in-house tech expert Greg will talk about six main styles of motorcycle helmets – what are the differences, features, in’s and out’s. Also, he will show you how to determine your head shape, how to measure your size and make the right choice.

Here are the helmets featured in the video:

Bell® - Pit Boss Half Shell Helmet - MOTORCYCLEiD.com

Bell® - Riot Open Face Helmet - MOTORCYCLEiD.com

Shark Helmets® - Race-R Pro Carbon Replica Zarco GP DE France Full Face Helmet - MOTORCYCLEiD.com

Shoei® - Neotec II Modular Helmet - MOTORCYCLEiD.com

Bell® - MX-9 Adventure MIPS Marauder Dual Sport Helmet - MOTORCYCLEiD.com

6D Helmets® - ATR-2 Stripe Off-Road Helmet - MOTORCYCLEiD.com

Click on the image to enter the product page for more information.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us here or call our tech experts at 888.903.4344​

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I totally recommend a one piece full face helmet, and won't wear anything else. Way back when I was a teenager I wore a 3/4 helmet with a 5 snap face shield. Sometime in my mid 20s, after seeing a picture of a motorcycle rider who crashed and landed on his face while wearing one of those, I switched to a full face.

I've been noticing that like motorcycles, helmets are getting more and more expensive, some of them approaching $1000. Sales people sell these super expensive helmets by asking a customer how much their head is worth. Well, I still consider my head to be worth a lot more than $1000, even though it is 61 years old. To me that kind of blows that sales tactic out of the water.

I wear a size 2XL (depending on the brand) About 7 years ago, I found a site that had the HJC CS-R2 in my size for sale at a pretty deep discount, I believe they were $119. I ordered one. It was a perfect fit, and I loved the way it looked. I immediately turned around and ordered the last two they had in that size. Just a few weeks ago I threw away my first one as it began to get a bit loose. I started wearing one of the other two brand new ones. I doubt I will still be riding long enough to wear out both of those. If you find a good helmet at a good price, I recommend getting a couple more while you can, leave them in the box, and put them in the closet. That eliminates paying a lot more for a new one years later that may not fit as well or that you may not like as well. You also won't have to search forever to find one that fits and that you like, and can afford.

·
Supporting vendor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wear a size 2XL (depending on the brand) About 7 years ago, I found a site that had the HJC CS-R2 in my size for sale at a pretty deep discount, I believe they were $119. I ordered one. It was a perfect fit, and I loved the way it looked. I immediately turned around and ordered the last two they had in that size. Just a few weeks ago I threw away my first one as it began to get a bit loose. I started wearing one of the other two brand new ones. I doubt I will still be riding long enough to wear out both of those. If you find a good helmet at a good price, I recommend getting a couple more while you can, leave them in the box, and put them in the closet. That eliminates paying a lot more for a new one years later that may not fit as well or that you may not like as well. You also won't have to search forever to find one that fits and that you like, and can afford.
Thank you for your feedback! That's a great idea, actually. Why didn't I think of that before?
The only drawback is that you are missing out on trying newer, updated versions of helmets that are coming out featuring lighter and stronger materials, better ventilation, optically correct lenses, and so on.
BTW, we have those and they are on sale right now:
HJC Helmets® - CS-R3 Full Face Helmet - MOTORCYCLEiD.com

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts