Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, again. :confused:

I have another question, and don't know if this is the place for it but it seems so.

Until I bought my '94 VN750, I had never seen a VN750. so I'm not aware of what exactly it looked like when new. It presently has a chrome frame around the radiator, but no guard of any type over the radiator itself. There are some dings in the radiator now, and I'd like to protect it, but wonder if there was a stock guard that was originally there, such as the plastic editions I see on Ebay. Or, should I just get some sort of metal mesh and put it beneath the chrome guard?

I've looked for pictures of old bikes in stock new condition, but so far, haven't been able to find an answer to my ?

Any help is sure appreciated! I'm learning to love my bike, now that we've gotten some issues taken care of and given it loads of TLC, and I want to take good care of it so I can count on it for some time.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Yes, there was originally a full coverage black plastic cover on it. The chrome frame is aftermarket. Many people installed them over the plastic cover. I would definitely get the right cover, and very carefully try to straighten out the fins with a box cutter knife blade or something thin. You can also get "coil combs" at A/C parts places for straightening out fins on A/C coils. They will also work on radiators. A new radiator is $325, so I would do everything I could to protect it.

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! You folks are terrific! :smiley_th

An OEM cover is on the way.

*slowly but surely getting to know my ride, piece by piece*

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
If the replacement grille is faded, you can use Krylon Fusion paint on it. It adheres to plastic well.

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
I also have the after market chrome rad cover, but did use the orig plastic under it because without it like yours, the rad fins are exposed to abuse. I painted my grill with a chrome colored paint and think it looks great. Ck out my album. You can go another route and for about $40 get a chrome plate to install with your cover. Link on to the vn750 e-bay thru here and you will find many diff designs. Also if you add the orig plastic cover you may have to use different bolts, the stud bolts on the chrome cover are larger than the original and will not work if you use the chrome and plastic together like I did. If you go back to the orig you will prob need the original bolts with sleeves. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, All! It's all fixed.

Thanks for all your replies and help. I'm sure thankful you folks are here!

The radiator shield arrived yesterday and we put it in, along with the chrome frame on top of it. We did need to make the holes in the guard just a tad larger, but that presented just a small delay, and the bolts that were already in there worked just fine, even with the additional shield layer. :)

Someday my Vulcan will be back to stock +, as I move along piece by piece.
It's been quite a learning experience and will continue for some time, I'm sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts