Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is there an oil screen, if the bike has an oil filter? I can see one or the other, but no need for both.

When we 1st got our 1990, we changed the oil (to synthetic) & filter, but were unable to get the screen off, so we didn't.

If the screen clogs, does oil flow stop or is severely restricted? :doh:

-Ric

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Why is there an oil screen, if the bike has an oil filter? I can see one or the other, but no need for both.

When we 1st got our 1990, we changed the oil (to synthetic) & filter, but were unable to get the screen off, so we didn't.

If the screen clogs, does oil flow stop or is severely restricted? :doh:

-Ric
In a word ,yes ,it is actually a pre-filter before the oil makes it to the actual filter and it is also a good indicator of whats going on in your engine

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I am able to get the screen out & replace it with just a plug, then I never have to worry about it again. :smiley_th

-Ric

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
So if I am able to get the screen out & replace it with just a plug, then I never have to worry about it again. :smiley_th

-Ric
You could but I wouldn't. As Denny said,it is a pre-filter that will collect small metal shavings from inside the engine. It will give you an idea as to how much abnormal wear you're getting.. The screen comes out easily. I would suspect yours is clogged with gunk. I would take it out,clean it, and replace it. JMO

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I don't understand why there would be a problem getting it out, nor putting it back in place... Just watch how things are lined up and put'em back like they came out...
Do you think someone didn't get'em back in right is the reason they won't come out... I know all I had to do was stick my finger back in there and pull'em out, was a bit hot sometimes (but you could let it cool)...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will give you an idea as to how much abnormal wear you're getting..
It is useless to know that, because you are not going to do a thing differently if you know!

I mean, if you know that your engine has "abnormal wear" and runs perfectly fine, what are you going to do differently? tear apart the engine? sell the bike? I think not.

-Ric

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
If you find small plastic pieces in the screen, that tells you that the balancers are breaking up. That is a warning not to take a long trip on the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
And if you ignore the warning of the plastic/rubber chips, the balancer is going to try and exit out the lower left side of the crankcase. Most are only partially successful. :wow: My project bike being a prime example.

Which would you rather do, replace balancers, or repair/replace the engine? :doh:

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts

-Ric
Using that same logic you should weld the oil bolt in so you never have to worry about it leaking....;)

The screen is there to warn you something bad is about to happen. Little chunks of black rubber looking stuff means your balancer is about to go, large metal shavings would indicate a shifter fork or some lower end issue and flakes that look like burnt wood would be a wasted clutch plate.

The oil filter is there to keep finer debris out of motor.... No one I know cuts open their oil filter to see what it has collected. So the screen is just really nice to have and has saved many a member money on repairs.:doh:

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
It is useless to know that, because you are not going to do a thing differently if you know!

I mean, if you know that your engine has "abnormal wear" and runs perfectly fine, what are you going to do differently? tear apart the engine? sell the bike? I think not.

-Ric
well, if you know anything about engines and see crap in your oil screen even though it seems to run perfect, you might change your oil more often to monitor what's going on, or maybe lay off beating the bag out of it and end up stranded. You may not take it on straight rides of hundreds of miles.... or you could remove the screen and plug it up. Free country.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
As it's been said. It is a way to "read" what's happening in your engine. Hopefully it's a blank page. But think of it this way, if that screen wasn't there any large debris could end up elsware in the engine & be even more of a problem than where the debris came from. The last bit I found in my screen was part of the resin coating from my stator. Further defining an issue I was resolving. The screen is a good thing. Weather you choose to check it or not. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts