Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeings all,

I'm thinking about selling my VN750. I want a bigger Vulcan. I'm in NYC and have a VN750 '04 with 2,300 miles on it. Garage kept. All service done & Corbin seat. Just wondering what I could expect to sell it for.

Thanks!

Evan

·
Registered
553 Posts
Seems around here since gas has flirted with 3.00 gas bikes are holding a litle better resale value. Most 20 year old bikes are bringing at least a 1000 bucks.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
if your state has sales tax, you shouldn't have to pay sales tax on the amount you are getting for your old bike so you should take that into account

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I'd list it for sale at least for a while to see if you can sell it. Dealers have to make money and won't give you anywhere near what it's worth. Be patient and see what you can get from a private sale if you can. Then you'll have more to put toward your new bike.

I just bought my 02 with 9500 miles on it for $3000 in April. I think your bike is worth at least $4000 private sale. The dealer will probably list it for $4500+ Good luck!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Up here in Maine I just got an '01 VN750 with 1967 miles on it for 2800 bucks. That has got to be the sweetest deal I have ever seen. Not a scratch on it and according to the owner, never been dropped or laid down. I would guess you could get at least 1K more plus the cost of the Corbin for yours.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Honestly, I have no idea (until I can get a service manual) what the splines are. Could you tell me how to check them or should I just take it to the local kawa guy and have him do it? In other words, how hard is it to do? I am handy with a wrench, but don't know much about motorcycles.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Just click on Fergy's signature where it says "Spline lube with pictures." If I can do it, anyone can.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Wow, that is so cool. Is this a procedure I really need to do though, with so few miles on it. Or is the problem that the factory or dealer may not have done it properly (I think I read something about that in another thread.)?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
You should check them ASAP.

From what I've gathered, the 01's and 02's were the worse, but numerous other reports, even some 06's had the rear splines left un-lubed, dry, and grinding against each other from day one. It is shocking to find this out, but you will feel much better once you have checked them out, and lubed if needed.

It doesn't matter how many miles are on the bike. It's not scheduled maintenance until like 9000 miles or something. Think about it. You would rather find out now than then! Hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts