Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading through a list of things I should do once I get my bike and definately plan on such.

Going to buy an AGM battery right away and also read about relocating some electrical stuff from the goats belly area to somewhere else, perhaps someone knows of a step by step guide someone might have done? I also read about buying a voltmeter and hooking that up to monitor things, what is the purpose of this, is there certain things to look for that if you catch early with it will save you some trouble or...?

Thanks,
Unclemoney.

·
Super Moderator
11,933 Posts
The AGM battery is a good move. The other stuff is not critical.....relocating the R/R has actualy never been proven to be necessary...but most agree it sounds like a good idea. I never moved mine and never had a problem.

A voltmeter is a good idea too...but makes more sense if you plan on adding any electrical accessories... Like heated gear, or extra lighting.

A few things you should do.... Make sure the rear drive splines are lubed well, silicone the swing arm caps and the threads on the toolbox lock....these are notorious for falling off.

KM

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be purchasing her from the dealer this upcoming week, we already have a price set. Should I contact them and ask them to do such? Either way whether they say yes or no I'll make sure to do this myself as you never really know what they may or may not do.

Thanks for the input guys!

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
The voltmeter will give you early warning about charging problems, possibly saving a towing bill.

DO NOT trust the dealer to lube the splines. Most have no idea it needs to be done or how to do it and few have the proper lubricant (Honda Moly 60 or equivalent) on hand. They will use bearing grease, which isn't up to the task.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The voltmeter will give you early warning about charging problems, possibly saving a towing bill.

DO NOT trust the dealer to lube the splines. Most have no idea it needs to be done or how to do it and few have the proper lubricant (Honda Moly 60 or equivalent) on hand. They will use bearing grease, which isn't up to the task.
Other than online where would I find this?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also I found a site where they sell it in tubes... Do I need something like a grease gun? Is there a connector or nipple or whatever you might call it like where you hook up a grease gun to grease something?

·
Registered
900 Posts
nope.. all you need is a finger.. as far as the voltmeter goes.. you can get a good hand held one at walmart.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
On the voltmeter, I don't know if what I did was as good as y'all describe, but I put a cigarette lighter plug on my bike so I could charge up my GPS, cell phone, or whatever and picked up a voltmeter that plugged into the cigarette lighter socket at china-mart for +/-$16.... It wasn't a constant monitor, just something to check the voltage when I wanted to.... I also put a lighter plug on my riding mower, and of course my car & PU have the lighter plug ins...
Just another thought thrown in, worked for me...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
You can usually pick up the 3 oz tube of Honda Moly 60 at a Honda shop, or buy it online. The links for threads showing how to do the spline lube and r/r relocation is in my sig.
X2 on the AGM battery!

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
If you ever intend to take extended rides on your bike, you really should consider adding a voltmeter to your bike as a permanent install.

That way, you can have peace of mind knowing what your bike's charging system is doing at any time, especially when you're not in familiar territory to ask for help or a ride home.

If your charging system fails, you may not have much time to get back to civilization, so every minute counts. No voltmeter, and you have no real warning of such, until it's too late--and your on foot in nowhereville....:(

One example of a voltmeter that gives a nice "at a glance" reading of your bike's charging system can be found at the following (available in black or chrome color finishes):

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/123/8115/ITEM/Kuryakyn-LED-Battery-Gauge.aspx

Other threads here on the forum discuss how and where to install it......it's a good investment of your time to check it all out!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
^ I agree with theauhawk above, my deal was just mostly to have something to plug in a cell phone, GPS, and even plug in the battery tender... Without a doubt the continiously visable voltmeter would be better on rides...
Have a good one...Old Dog....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts