Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ran upon a wreck today on the way home from church. Two guys were riding east on KY 40 and met another vehicle coming towards them left of center. The one in front got on the brakes hard,l.ooks like the rear locked up and he went down hard, on his right(low side and slid a ways before he was ejected from the bike and hit the pavement hard with his head. Looked like the thin cheap half helmet he was wearing did nothing for him other than hold his head in one piece,it was a Skid Lid brand so be warned they may protect you from the law but not the Newton's Laws of motion.

Wear a helmet or not it's your choice but if you are going to wear one put a decent one on. This is one case I believe the man could have walked away from with some decent protection ,even a decent halfie with some cushion between his head and the pavement would have absorbed a lot of the shock that was transferred to his head

Any way, another man down, another family torn apart and it was started by a careless driver who never even stopped.

Please be aware of what is going on all the way around you and if you are going to ride fast be on your best game.

Not a good thing to have to see.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My guess is the cager was distracted by a phone. Hopefully someone got a vehicle description. It's this kind of accident that scares me the most and why I prefer the back roads with little traffic.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
its so sad. Not a good thing to see

I always suggest good riding gear and taking a course, its not the rider usually it is the idiots around us, anything we can do to limit the risk / dangers etc will be better.

kenny

·
Super Moderator
11,863 Posts
Some folks don't see the simple logic to a (good) helmet. You don't need armored jackets or pants or fiberglass boots as much as you need a helmet.

You can live without your legs,your arms or your feet. But you can't live without your head. Even a "minor" brain injury can Fuk up the rest of your life more than say losing a foot. Your brain is what makes you YOU and controls your entire body, risking it to injury makes zero sense.....

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
So I have about a $100 half helmet and I love it because I just feel like I am in the scene more and not watching it on a television. I do run a full face modular during the cooler months and winter. My big problem is the full face gets buffetted so damn much behind the windshield and it doesn't seem to matter how I adjust that thing. It just never gets the sweet spot back far enough. I have to lean into it about 6 inches to get where it's calm.

There has got to be a magic way to adjust windshields man. I heard someone say that they put the lowers on and that stopped it./ I don't see hwo that would help but am going to try. Have to try something. It' so annoying.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I have about a $100 half helmet and I love it because I just feel like I am in the scene more and not watching it on a television. I do run a full face modular during the cooler months and winter. My big problem is the full face gets buffetted so damn much behind the windshield and it doesn't seem to matter how I adjust that thing. It just never gets the sweet spot back far enough. I have to lean into it about 6 inches to get where it's calm.

There has got to be a magic way to adjust windshields man. I heard someone say that they put the lowers on and that stopped it./ I don't see hwo that would help but am going to try. Have to try something. It' so annoying.
I do have lowers on mine and it does help redirect the air that comes up underneath the windshield and reduces the buffeting a lot. I have both a high quality half helmet and a modular helmet FF that I divide my time between according to the weather.

Just like i said don't worry about what you look like or if your helmet looks weird on your head. I saw first hand how the helmets that look like the aren't even there, perform like they aren't even there.

Looking cool don't look that cool when you are in the middle of the road dead.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Mine is a pretty think half helmet and also has the pads that zip in for colder riding. I saw a good DIY someplace for lowers built out of plexi glass from Lowes I'm going to try.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
ran upon a wreck today on the way home from church. Two guys were riding east on KY 40 and met another vehicle coming towards them left of center. The one in front got on the brakes hard,l.ooks like the rear locked up and he went down hard, on his right(low side and slid a ways before he was ejected from the bike and hit the pavement hard with his head. Looked like the thin cheap half helmet he was wearing did nothing for him other than hold his head in one piece,it was a Skid Lid brand so be warned they may protect you from the law but not the Newton's Laws of motion.

Wear a helmet or not it's your choice but if you are going to wear one put a decent one on. This is one case I believe the man could have walked away from with some decent protection ,even a decent halfie with some cushion between his head and the pavement would have absorbed a lot of the shock that was transferred to his head

Any way, another man down, another family torn apart and it was started by a careless driver who never even stopped.

Please be aware of what is going on all the way around you and if you are going to ride fast be on your best game.

Not a good thing to have to see.
So sorry you had to endure that Denny, that could not have been easy. Thanks for sharing it with us though, it's always a good reminder. I hope the memory fades for you soon...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts