Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious before i call and start asking questions. anyone know if there is a larger MF batt that can be shoehorned in place. The reason i ask is for another one of my posts.... i did the math and i will need just a lil more juice for error on the safe side. I did my figuring with the current batt at 14amps and about 150 CCA, and i am needed something with a higher CCA figure...maybe 200-225.

Thanks.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wonder how much space can be gained.....guess its time to take off that seat lol....

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Humm, well i think i found an option. since i will be relocating the R/R, i took some measurements. The battery can not be any more then 6" wide not sure on length (gonna move the coil) and 7" deep.

After looking around, wesco has a MF batt i think i can shove in there. Part # 12v30. It is a 30 Amp/hour battery :D. it is 6.5"long, 4 &7/8 wide 6 &7/8 deep. gonna make a mock up tomarrow and see if it fits. This would be then end of hard starts, and most likely dead batteries minus a bad charging system. this battery could be 50% dead and still start the bike :p

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Larger Batt

Let us know how if that larger battry will fit, I would be interested
in putting one in as well. Excellent idea, might even cause Kawasaki
to redesign the bike somewhat. :beerchug:

Hope the Kaw engineers frequent this internet site..

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
If your current battery is only 150 CCA I bet you ut is a wet cell battery.
Maintenance free batteries (Yuasa and Westco) have about 180-200 CCA.
You can get a better battery, the same size and be maintenance free ta boot!
(plus you don't have to do mods, take the seat off every week to check water levels, worry about battery spills on electrucal components or the overflow tube coming off)

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i was in need of a larger battery b/c i was wanting to do a HID upgrade. When they start up they pull 10 amps for about 10 seconds each. the extra juice in the battery will help lots...

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
ok bit the bullet and bought the westco 12v30 battery. its a 30 amp/hour battery with 350 cca. IIRC they said it is designed for the BMW bikes. I made a mock up of the battery's dimensions (plus some for the bracket) and it fit. barely but it did. it is skinnier then stock, so all the boxes that were on the back and front will be put on the sides now. i cant wait. I bet that with all that extra ampage, the voltage will never drop below 12v at a traffic light, even with the fan on. big plus in texas, cause when voltage drops, then fan speed drops. should be here by friday, let ya'll know if i have to return it :p

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
So if this works, then I can get an MF version of that, and it would be tons better. Or is it already an MF battery?

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its already a MF free.....i'm not gonna go through all that again....

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so far the battery was 100 bucks free shipping. i still need to make a new bracket, but that cant be done untill its here. i figure parts for that will be in the 10-30 mark.

Considering i needed a new battery anyway, i dont think its too bad

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok battery is here. I went ahead and slid it in to see if it would work, and it does! It is just almost too tight against the spash gaurd. Other then that clearance is just fine. I will make the battery box in the morning and will take pics. :p

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Grrreat hizzo, anxious to see the pic's and how that battery works out for
you.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
pics are posted in the gallery. I can tell you its awesome...Even with my stator completly not working (the ac output at the stator is 10 v at idle and 14 v at 5k rpm). Here are the results. starts like a charm. I dont think it even does a full turn over. oh and the other plus. no dimming what so ever. Even the tail light doesnt dim when starting. Keep in mind this is a 100% drain on the battery. Voltage at full charge is 12.9 v. Under a full draw while running, no charging, it drops to 12.6v. My G/f's dad was more then impressed (he thought i was crazy at first and would fry the system).

Also wanted to throw in, i ran the bike for 15 mins to run some other test to verify it is the stator out (it was as mentioned above). Then turned her off. Then turned her back on, still no dimming. I now have plenty CCA's to install a hid system without fear that i will have to rev the engine to keep the drain from starving the coils.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh here is the $$$ part.
Battery on steriods...$99 free shipping
Aluminum Sheetmetal...$8.99
Rivet gun (i didnt have one, welding would be better)...$19.99
rivets(pack 100, but i only need 12)...$4.99
bolts and washers (bolt, 6mmX10mm: washer, 6mm. qty 16)[email protected]
6 pack of Shiner Bock...$6.49

Seeing your girlfriend's dad's eyes light up, and congratulates ya on a mod well done (and one he hadnt seen yet)....Priceless

so does that make up for me living with your daughter yet?

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
I guess it's safe to say that you went for the biggest battery you could get in that spot. Looks almost like a car battery. Wonder how far you could go with the bike in 5th and the starter running the show?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Cool! Sounds like awesome news. How did you mount the box? Sheetmetal bending ain't no pickic either, huh? great job!

Now, taking your idea a step farther, what if I rigged a second hookup, maybe in my trunk, where I could put in a second MF battery, to take on trips etc. to help run my driving lights etc. ? Wire it right up to the existing battery where volts stay the same, but amps are double. Wonder if the battery tender could handle charging both over night at a motel etc.?? Since I have the trunk already... Just thinking out loud...

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fergy said:
Cool! Sounds like awesome news. How did you mount the box? Sheetmetal bending ain't no pickic either, huh? great job!

Now, taking your idea a step farther, what if I rigged a second hookup, maybe in my trunk, where I could put in a second MF battery, to take on trips etc. to help run my driving lights etc. ? Wire it right up to the existing battery where volts stay the same, but amps are double. Wonder if the battery tender could handle charging both over night at a motel etc.?? Since I have the trunk already... Just thinking out loud...
well since it was .025" sheet of aluminum, it wasnt too bad. didnt take to much muscle. I mounted it using the stock mounting holes in the frame.

Now on your parallel set up, there will be an issue. Lead acid doesnt like a deep cycle. Any less then 30% left in the battery does major damage. Which means you would need a gel battery (used in golf carts). Only issue is they charge at different rates, and are fairly heavy. This means you will have to wire up a different system. What you are needing is a stator upgrade. That is something i still have on the drawing board, since i am still waiting on stupid epoxy (see post stator rebuild). But i can safely say that this battery can handle being at a traffic light and running everything unlike our stock unit.

Cegodsey- I didnt have a large selection. I couldnt go over 6.5 inches long. all of the batteries from our stock one to this one were 6.88-7.5 inches long.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.