Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This bike is still new to me. I've only gassed it up three or four times. I was running low the other day so I took a run to top it up. The gauge was down near the red part. About a mile from home the bike stalled like it had just run out of gas. I reached down and rotated the petcock to reserve but that didn't help so I soon came to a stop. I tryed to start it for a few seconds then I could smell gas. Looking down I could see gas dripping from around the petcock somewhere (hard to tell while sitting on the bike). So I rotated the lever back to the on position which stopped the gas dribbling out. After a bit of fiddling, (choke, no choke; Crack throttle, no throttle) I got it started and headed back home as I didn't have my cell with me. The bike ran well all the way back home. I checked and when I switch to the reserve gas comes out around the petcock (one problem). The next day was a repeat except I had my cell and went on to the gas station and filled up. I took a run around town after the fillup to see if I was going to continue having problems but none were present. Since then I've had it die a couple of times at a stoplight when the bike isn't fully warmed up (second problem?). So, what's up with the gas leaking out of the petcock? How low do you let the gage get before you fill up? Do I have an upcoming date to clean my carbs? I drained the bowls last night and the right was clean but I did get a little bit of small particles from the left. Probably a couple dozen much smaller that a grain of salt. No water from either side.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
410 Posts
It sounds like the petcock has a problem for leakage;
Now the hard start problem i also have with mine if choke comes off to early, i have to wait and then crank whilst reving the throttle, i have not had time to find out what it is yet, but as long as you dont come off of choke too early you should be ok, i think ill live with it, carbs can be quirky that way, even on cars.
I really think the petcock is a problem of its own and that certainly needs to be addressed right away, before your pants go up in flames.
All the best now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts