Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 1995 Vulcan and am trying to get her up and running. I am changing the spark plugs but have run into a snag. The 2 deeper sockets seem to be stuck or my deepwell socket isn't getting to it or something. It just keeps turning but won't grab the plug. I am leary of putting pressure onto the the ratchet because I am afraid that the socket will get lodged inside the deepwell. Anyone else run into this or am I just being overly cautious?

Also, the 2 other plugs that I removed had a small amount of oil on them...what does that mean.? I don't think it could be good. You don't add oil to the threads for any reason do you? Thanks in advance for answers to noob questions. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Same problem for me.

Solution was to use the spark plug socket that comes in the Vulcan tool kit. The spark plug body is too long to fit in a normal deep well socket properly on the deeper well engine plugs.

With new spark plugs, my Vulcan starts and runs like new

Stone

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same problem for me.

Solution was to use the spark plug socket that comes in the Vulcan tool kit. The spark plug body is too long to fit in a normal deep well socket properly on the deeper well engine plugs.

With new spark plugs, my Vulcan starts and runs like new

Stone
Mine doesn't have a tool kit, guess I will be seeing my local Kawasaki dealer again.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
the craftsman 18mm deepwell fits...

Not sure if the one I got in my new toolkit does, but I know for a fact that sears sells an 18mm that fits (My dad picked it up while I was working on the bike at his place...)

The kaw toolkit is something around $90 for $10 worth of tools... anyone wanna sell one ;-)

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Yes people do put oil on the threads sometimes to keep them from sticking.
Other people use antisieze.
A thin wall socket will work as stated above, craftsman makes one for about $10

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The kaw toolkit is something around $90 for $10 worth of tools... anyone wanna sell one ;-)
I was actually just planning on buying the socket but actually anytime you buy anything from a dealer you are usually paying quite a bit more lol. I think I will just look for the the thinwall 18mm craftsman socket :)

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I have a Stanley socket set and my 18mm deep socket fits fine too. If you found oil on the threads, it was probably sitting in the recessed area above your plugs and got on the threads when you removed them. There is probably a little bit of leakage, but probably nothing serious. Oil would be a bad idea on the threads for thread lock as it will get hard and make the plugs harder to remove from all the constant heat. Anti seize would be the thing to use, and be careful not to get it on the business end of the plug.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I have a Stanley socket set and my 18mm deep socket fits fine too. If you found oil on the threads, it was probably sitting in the recessed area above your plugs and got on the threads when you removed them. There is probably a little bit of leakage, but probably nothing serious. Oil would be a bad idea on the threads for thread lock as it will get hard and make the plugs harder to remove from all the constant heat. Anti seize would be the thing to use, and be careful not to get it on the business end of the plug.
Fergy, how much anti-seize do you use? I put just a brush stroke (thin) on my plugs (having never used it before), but am wondering what's appropriate.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I bought a Kawasaki sparkplug socket from my dealer for about $6. I always put a little WD-40 on the threads when I put the plugs in. Just makes them screw in a little smoother. When I feel resistance I give them another half or 3/4 turn. NEVER overtighten them!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Cindy, the never sieze amount is minimal. I couldn't tell you how much, but I put a dot on my finger and spin the plug threads on it. Knock on wood, I've never had a plug get stuck in a vehicle so I don't really know from experience how much to use. I just dab a little on and install em.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
That is all I use on cars, Just a bit on the threads. It goes far so don't use to much, makes a big mess.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Okay I went out and bought a craftsman 18mm deepwell and it got jammed and pulled (unscrewed) out the circlar housing. Now the bit is jammed in there and I have no clue on how to get it out without possible breaking the circular housing. I am refering to the deep spark plug towards the middle of the engine, not the one closer to the front of it. Any suggestions?? At least I was ale to easily get to the sparkplug with that housing removed. :(

EDIT: Well I got the bit out safely but not sure how to tighten the housing back on and how tight to get it down. It looks like you would use some kind of large hexagonal tool to tighten and loosen this though I don't have anything even close to the size of this so I am guessing that it is maybe some kind of special tool?

Also, everyone said that they use 18mm deepwell socket for the plugs, so what am I doing wrong to get this jammed in there like that? I didn't pound it in, just started turning my wratchet when it feltt like I was on the sparkplug.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
You will need a nut or bolt with a 28mm head. Most people here use the acorn nut on the rear wheel as it's 28mm. I picked up a bolt with the correct head size and it worked great. Cost about $3 or so. If you don't have the Clymer's or Kaw manual for torque specs, just tighten it until it is good and snug but no more.

As far as what you are doing wrong, I suspect nothing. Sometimes with old bikes, things get stuck together especially if they have been out in the weather for extended periods of time.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Is there a recommended torque for tightening the plugs? I replaced mine and gave then the 'extra' 1/4 turn, but it may be better to actually torque them to the specified amoutn.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
so what am I doing wrong to get this jammed in there like that? I didn't pound it in, just started turning my wratchet when it feltt like I was on the sparkplug.
Are you sure it was a thin walled socket?
I'm not sure what the part # would be for for the Sears one, I just took the socket I had that fit the plugs to work, put it on the lathe, and turned it down a bit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
sears make a 18mm spark plug socket works great for ngk plugs
autolite plugs are a common size
Craftsman 18mm Easy-To-Read Spark Plug Socket, 3/8 in. drive
Sears item #00950728000 Mfr. model #50728 $4.79

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
I hadn't been able to say whether or not the "normal" sears 18mm deepwell worked or not - it does - came in the 263pc mechanics tool set (on sale now $200) part number for just the 18mm socket is "Cat no. 44435" 3/8 6pt deep socket - not easyread. Couldn't find that particular one online (44435 search leads ya to a bra).

Didn't stick at all to the sides - but mine's an 85 700 so may be ever so slightly different.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I hadn't been able to say whether or not the "normal" sears 18mm deepwell worked or not - it does - came in the 263pc mechanics tool set (on sale now $200)
That's a nice price !!!

Just some FYI on that tool set....

The have an Online Only Offer with it.
Sears website said:
Add a Craftsman Bolt out set for only $9.99 (Reg $19.99).Item#00952160000

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a sears 44435 18mm,it works on my bike just tried it.The 18mm spark plug socket is 433330 it has the rubber gasket that holds the plug so it pulls out with the socket.It is the one I use all the time.
I think as long as it 3/8 drive and not 1/2 inch it should work.
You can't have too many tools.It looks like sears change all the numbers and is switching to easyread tools.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Reagarding spark plug torque specifications:

The Clymer Manual says to tighten an additional 1/2 turn after the gasket makes contact with the head. Tighten 1/4 turn if you are reinstalling the old plugs.

The Kawasaki Service Manual says torque spec is 18 N-m (12 ft-lb). Interestingly the Spark Plug Removal instructions are "... unscrew the spark plug. If necessary, use spark plug wrench 57001-1024."

I have used the Sears Craftsman 18 mm "Easy-Read" 6 point deep socket without any problem. I think Sears uses different part numbers depending whether the socket is part of a set or not. Also, Sears may sell other brands (not Craftsman) that might not be thin-wall.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts