Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 1999 Vulcan 750 and I am having stator issues big time. We bought 4 stators so far and 3 regulators. After the 3rd stator we bought a Shindigen FH020AA MOSFET Regulator/Rectifier and relocated it outside so it could cool better. This has lasted 6 months and now the stator is a black crispy burnt pile of trash again.

The funny thing is that it would charge the bike still with no headlight connected and put out 14-15 volts with no big loads. Tested the stator and all three phases short 0.01 ohms to ground directly! lol... Each leg tests 0.01-0.08 to one another.... Pulled the stator out and man its burned so bad I have no idea how it functioned at all.

New stators (oem, regular and this last one was a high output higher $ one), new mosfet r/r, new wiring.... why does this keep happening? What can be done to stop this from happening so often? We're just at a loss...

:BLAM:

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I'm currently (somewhat) dealing with this; stators keep grounding out.

I'm thinking it may be my stator mod plate allowing the stator to touch the rotor when it gets hot, so I am going to use a pre-made one from gxe (if I can find it..)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here we are again.... bad stator.

I JUST replaced the stator 1000? miles ago! I got so pissed off I cut out the original fuse box and all the stator to headlight circuit bs. We have the stator mod plate now so we dont need to remove the engine...

I installed a new generic fuse box with 10a fuses for tail/running lights, head light and signals, aux, fan, coils, ignitor. Installed a new 40a relay that is switched on by the key and cuts all power to the bike when the key is off.

Installed an interlock relay so the bike will only start in neutral or with clutch in.

Installed a Brand new shindigen FH020AA regulator 2 or 3 stators ago and its wired directly to the battery with a circuit breaker.

The vulcan 750 IS A PIECE OF ****. BAD DESIGN. PERIOD.

WHY do I, and others, keep losing stators? All new wiring, NOTHING reused for charging. Removed the stator to headlight wire that turns on headlight with bike running only (light on with key now).

I mean... whats left!? flywheel?????

It has been good for about 1000 miles since I put this last one in.

Im gonna blow this piece of crap up here soon.... and then bury it. I need to figure out why this happens.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts

·
Overkill? Whats that?
374 Posts
At some point I have to wonder, how's the temperature on your bike? I'm wondering if some of these bikes the oil temps are getting too high and cooking stators. .. . . .

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Ricks, RM, and many others. different brand each time.
All other brands bsides OEM rewound are known to fail shortly after... On my bike between me and the previous two owners when through 10 Stators in less than 6 months. After my second Rick's stator, I went with TPE stator and Shindegin MOFSET R/R and haven't had a problem since. Its now been 7 years with out a single charging system issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, after I disassembled the last time and found the red lacquer type paint coming off the windings I said... well this is stupid. They put such a tiny coating of the paint on and it cracks and comes off...

I went and bought ceramic header paint good up to 3000 degrees F at advance auto... figured what the hell... I had a new warranty stator coming.

I painted the stator with 4 coats of the ceramic header paint... ALL Sides and sprayed it so it dripped and ran everywhere... to get into the cracks. after 4 coats the finish was nice.

I installed it in the bike and its working very well now. 1 week and 100+ miles so far..... we shall see how it goes.

Ceramic paint = insulator to electricity and the high heat paint should hold up to the oil temp. The paint is also gas/oil resistant.... again only time will tell but having the whole thing coated is better than the aftermarket bs.....

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Well, after I disassembled the last time and found the red lacquer type paint coming off the windings I said... well this is stupid. They put such a tiny coating of the paint on and it cracks and comes off...

I went and bought ceramic header paint good up to 3000 degrees F at advance auto... figured what the hell... I had a new warranty stator coming.

I painted the stator with 4 coats of the ceramic header paint... ALL Sides and sprayed it so it dripped and ran everywhere... to get into the cracks. after 4 coats the finish was nice.

I installed it in the bike and its working very well now. 1 week and 100+ miles so far..... we shall see how it goes.

Ceramic paint = insulator to electricity and the high heat paint should hold up to the oil temp. The paint is also gas/oil resistant.... again only time will tell but having the whole thing coated is better than the aftermarket bs.....
If it starts flaking that paint is now in your engine oil...

Did you ever explore the rewind option that was brought up?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nope but we will see what happens with this stator. The bike has a screen and an oil filter for a reason. The red lacquer on the stator was flaking anyways.... this pos pile has 45k on it now... if it sucks paint and dies oh well lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it starts flaking that paint is now in your engine oil...

Did you ever explore the rewind option that was brought up?
and secondly, I refuse to believe that in the entire world only 1 man can make a stator last in these bikes.

Im not one to wait around for stuff to be made and mailed back and forth... no patience

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Sure, there are tons of rewind services! They're just a lot more expensive from what I've found. A quick search found several around me. They're usually off-road/dirt bike oriented places. They all do the same thing, which is actually pay attention when winding and putting the final coating on.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
and secondly, I refuse to believe that in the entire world only 1 man can make a stator last in these bikes.

Im not one to wait around for stuff to be made and mailed back and forth... no patience
NO Tim isn't the only guy in the word who can rewind a MC stator successfully, he is one of the cheapest though and also he has a great track record. Go to your local Electric Motor service shop and have them rewind one for you... I know my local guy charges around 100 bucks to rewind a stator the same day you give it to him... if you are willing to wait a few days, he will have it done for significantly less.

The known fact is that aftermarket stators fail in our bikes rather fast. I have seen only a handful of them last more than a year or so with most going out in under 6 months.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
exactly slim. if your lucky enough to live in an area with a lot of recreational activity (off road vehicles, boats) there will be a ton of rewind services avail.
or in an agricultural community... our local shop does very few rewinds in power sports equipment, but a lot of stuff for farm equipment and logging equipment.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
if you are willing to wait a few days, he will have it done for significantly less.
"a few days" turns into "a month" in the middle of riding season, but I was in no rush and had extra stator cores sitting around.

I got my cores to him late last month so hoping to see a stator soon ... >.<

If I were the Original Poster I would not buy any more crappy non-OEM stators. Either buy an OEM one or have someone rewind his old OEM.

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
as a general rule, a reputable rewind shop can (and probably does) do a better job of rebuilding the item (stator, alternator, starter, generator, ect) than most (even OEM ones) replacements. and in many times, cost less.

yes, I forgot to mention the highly agricultural areas as good sources of rebuilders/rewinders. forgot a lot of that power equipment does not have traditional alternator/generator setups for charging.

I have had multiple starters and alternators rebuilt for cars I have owned for far less than replacements (even less than china built junk parts), and every one has been at least as good if not better quality when done than the automaker put on in the first place

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
"a few days" turns into "a month" in the middle of riding season, but I was in no rush and had extra stator cores sitting around.

I got my cores to him late last month so hoping to see a stator soon ... >.<

If I were the Original Poster I would not buy any more crappy non-OEM stators. Either buy an OEM one or have someone rewind his old OEM.
I was referring to an electric motor repair shop... My local go to guy has a turn around time of 1 week year a round. He will however charge more for a priority job, other wise its first come first serve. Out here riding season is his least busiest time because that's when all the agriculture stuff is running hard and the farmers have all had their parts overhauled during the winter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts