Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
So I figured it out it was that pulsing coil being to far away I notched it moved it closer she runs like a dream idles at 1100 rpm with spark now I just have to replace my fan anshe will be road Worthy once again

Cool! And you just verified the p/u coil mod makes a difference.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Got her all button up to day and back together took on a 5 mile ride just to test runs stronger and better than I remember now to just get the new cooling fan I found a used one on eBay from a 01 for 50 dollars don't know if I want to take a chance on used

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
I wouldn't be afraid of a used fan if I could find one that's clean and not high mileage on the donor bike.

Someone here did find a new replacement fan motor, but it wasn't a direct bolt-on.

If you can stay at 35mph or higher, it should stay cool without the fan. But with stoplights and slower traffic, you need it.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
There's also universal fans available, just need one that will mount to shroud, or one with a shroud that fits.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Need opinions now the bike is back together I just wired my volt meter to the battery and taped to gauges to do some testing idle is 13.5 volts 3000 rpm 14.5 to 15 volts cooling fan kicks on drops to 12.5 fan kicks off give couple turns of the throttle jumps back up to 13.5 am I good to go haven't replaced fan just wondering if I had wiring issues along with stator issues I cut 90 percent of the bullet connectors and prong connectors off the bike and soldered and heat shrinked back together did the headlight mod and the fan mod with a relay

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Need opinions now the bike is back together I just wired my volt meter to the battery and taped to gauges to do some testing idle is 13.5 volts 3000 rpm 14.5 to 15 volts cooling fan kicks on drops to 12.5 fan kicks off give couple turns of the throttle jumps back up to 13.5 am I good to go haven't replaced fan just wondering if I had wiring issues along with stator issues I cut 90 percent of the bullet connectors and prong connectors off the bike and soldered and heat shrinked back together did the headlight mod and the fan mod with a relay
Those numbers seem within range. My voltmeter is off the accessory leads in the front of the bike. I know there’s a voltage drop just through the wiring as opposed to going directly to the battery. My numbers are a tad lower. If I’m riding in the heat and I stop often I’ll see it drop to 11.9 with the fan on and as soon as I move it’ll go right back up to 13.X but the highest I’ve seen is 14.5, but again that’s off the leads. I think you’re good.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Doesn't seem too bad, actually all the numbers are good, you just have that voltage drop with the fan at idle, and a large part of that is normal.

Mine does the same thing. On the last couple of rides it seemed to be dropping off a lot with the fan. To the point of getting a backfire when the voltage is lowest. Think I need to check the fan, and at least do the fan relay. Will probably spin the fan up and see if there's excess drag in it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Yeah I took for ride with voltmeter connected I seen as high as 15.25 while on the throttle sitting at red light fan kicks on drops to 12.5 but as soon as it goes off 13.25 I take off from red light and it steadily rises and numbers are good got back to my house shut it off with key off voltage on battery is 13v with key on 12.8 so I think I am just going to leave it alone and see what happens

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Just to fill you guys in I have been riding my bike for a couple of days now running good no longer have a huge voltage drop when fan comes on at idle 1100 rpm bike shows 13.5 to 13.9 when fan comes on it drops to 13.2 and that is the lowest I am running a Rick Motorsports stator and rectifier

121 - 130 of 130 Posts