Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Did 2 wire mod first starts in gear so I know it's right test still nothing at battery did blue wire mod next for headlight test no change went to put headlight back in right spot no headlight moved it back to mod spot no headlight all fuses are good I am completely stumped
Did the headlight work after doing the two wire?

Working with the correct plugs, pins, and wires? It's easy to get them mixed up. ... easy for me.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The headlight would have been removed from all circuits after doing the two wire mod. The blue wire mod "should" have brought it back to life, and bypasses a lot of stuff in the junction box related to the headlight.

Chances are that the fuse labelled "tail light" is bad, or at least that pin 17 (the new pin you moved the blue wire to) isn't getting power. Can you check with a voltmeter? (For whatever reason, the fuses are mixed up, with the dash light and tail light being powered from the 'headlight' fuse, and the 'tail light' fuse was, buy default, not powering anything.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Took a break back on it I did get the headlight working through the mod spot I am getting all good reading from stator ac and ohms getting good reading out if rectifier now 13 volts at idle still only getting 12.3 on battery I am stumped and getting irritated lol the system is simple I don't get it

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
You're testing 13v on the terminal for the white wire at the RR?

If so, running the white straight to the battery should do it. If my head isn't cracked.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yes I have my voltmeter right on the connection of the white wire and the black/yellow stripped wire coming out of the rectifier at idle it holds 13 to 13.1 at 3000 rpm it holds 13.8 to 14 volts

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Yes I have my voltmeter right on the connection of the white wire and the black/yellow stripped wire coming out of the rectifier at idle it holds 13 to 13.1 at 3000 rpm it holds 13.8 to 14 volts

Ok, if you cut the white wire, then run the white from the RR straight to the battery, it should get the same voltage at the battery.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I'm not able to check the wiring diagram, but I believe the white wire originally runs through the JB, and/or the switch.

Must losing the voltage somewhere in between. So the direct route should do it.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Yeah it comes from the ignition switch splits into 2 one goes into r/r and one goes into j/b would I run that white wire to the positive side of the battery

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Yeah it comes from the ignition switch splits into 2 one goes into r/r and one goes into j/b would I run that white wire to the positive side of the battery
Got a quick peek at the diagram. The white goes straight to the switch, if I'm seeing it right.

So, not sure if the switch will lose power or not by routing to the battery. Thinking it won't, but not sure

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Running out of gas, sounds like my luck.

I would pick the best spot for cutting the white wire, with putting it back in mind. Then go ahead with the reroute and see if all still functions after making the battery connection.

It must be dropping the voltage between the RR, switch, and JB.

JB is a black hole for electrons, Hotel California.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Ok so did that I am completely baffled now it drop voltage at the r/r and still has same voltage at battery before the reroute just throwing a rock in the dessert if the battery (which is brand new and will take a charge from a outside charger) was bad would it give me a bad voltage reading or would it still give me a good reading

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Ok so did that I am completely baffled now it drop voltage at the r/r and still has same voltage at battery before the reroute just throwing a rock in the dessert if the battery (which is brand new and will take a charge from a outside charger) was bad would it give me a bad voltage reading or would it still give me a good reading
A bad battery, shorted, dead cell, etc, can pull the charging volts down, and you would see that in the reading.

Stator test- You saw 25 to 50 volts AC on each leg?

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Yeah and I am getting good reading out of the r/r even when the fan kicks on hardly any voltage drop
What is the battery voltage with engine off?

Not sure what's going on. Just had to load this page 16 times to make this post. Kept putting me at post #37 no matter what.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I have been testing all day so right now it's low like 12.3 I have it on a charger I am done for the night so hopefully it will charge back up for tomorrow is there anyway that the new stator is grounded even though I bought the mod plate

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I think I am going to have to go buy a better multimeter I just went and check ac voltage again set multimeter to 200 ac and it's only measuring at 1.6 at idle and 7.8 at 5000 rpms that is on all 3 leads

41 - 60 of 130 Posts