Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new to the forum I have had my Vulcan for 2 years bought used for $2,000 us 10,000 miles I have had no issues with it except the past couple weeks battery has died and left me stranded I am new to working on bikes but I am great with Auto tech so I know there are 3 major components to the charging system battery which is new the stator and rectifier which I have just bought both new I am just going to replace everything I have figured out that it will charge when cold but as soon as the engine is hot it stops charging so I tested the stator and it definitely is bad looking to do the tuxedo mod any suggestions before starting

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Welcome to the machine!

Stator heats up, expands, metals ground out, dead stator. Good catch.

Be sure you're ready to do a clean accurate cut on the case . Oil leaks suck.

Check your balancer dampers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks what do you suggest for a cutting tool I watched a video where a drimal was used had alot of shavings was wondering if a small cut off tool would work better

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I've seen bad results and really good results. Depends on skill and patience of the craftsman.

I just pulled the cover and skipped the mod, got to the part of making a thicker gasket using silicone and froze up. Jason Pittenger has a thread going where it looks like he's handled the gasket gap problem in a good way. Been kinda impaired lately so I may not get everything right if I try to tell you.

Cutting the case away from the engine is the best plan, much easier to see you are getting an accurate cut. If I had to, I would use the machine shop at my old job, but they closed the doors for good last month. 75% of a global company, gone.

Aluminum cuts super quick and easy, going slow is key. You can remove, but can't put it back. Maybe draw a line, then sneak up on the line. Could make final trim even with coarse sandpaper if you absolutely had to. Need a CNC, anybody got one they can loan? :)

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
heh .. two JPs. Jason and Jonathon, now I'll be cornfused again. We got two new M handles that I keep mixing up. I cannot be trusted!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I was definitely going to draw a line and probably do a light pass to make a groove then on the second path cut all the way through

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/104033-tuxedo-template-hole-saw.html

Check this out for one idea,
I’m not confirming or denying it’s merit because I have no personal experience.

Maybe someone who used this method will reply?
Haven't done it, but having some guide is good. Should've asked that poster if he was in the industry. It's a method used to get portable mills chucked up onsite. Say, the forward weapons hatch on a submarine.

I'd probably have the case off and at the drill press.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I am just going to do it I am nervous but I have been around tools since I was a kid and what is the worse that can happen I have to take the cover off and put a new one on

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's done not the prettiest looking but it will hold oil and not leak I plan on keeping the bike and giving it to my son so as long as I am happy with it that all that counts right lol waiting on my stator rectifier and stator plate I wish the plate was cheaper 90 is expensive

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
99 750 Vu

If you compare similarly sold items in the moto world that are 'trick pieces', and also hard to find, around $100 doesn't seem too awfully bad.

I know there's got to be some examples, adapter plates, for engine-trans. As far as I know there's only two places to get the Tux plate, but everyone has trans adapters.

Are you saying you got your cover done today? Cool

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I got it cut from the bike and all cleaned out Saturday I should have my parts to put back together I am going to run the used oil for warm up change it and filter then I am going to put new in run it for about 30 miles and change oil and filter again

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Add the correct amount of Seafoam to the present oil if you want to clean out, should be 3oz but double check. I ran 200 miles but I was thinking It had a sticky valve stem.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
What am I thinking... We're talking about the Tuxcut. . 200 miles.. no.

Still can't edit or quote, or copy paste.. on cell.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah talking about getting the shavings out of the motor I think I did a decent job of sealing everything up but I know how damaging shavings can be probably going to come home tomorrow after work and reflush with more kerosene

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And to edit post click on the box to the right of your post top right corner of your screen will be a pencil icon click on that

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
And to edit post click on the box to the right of your post top right corner of your screen will be a pencil icon click on that
Thanks found and used! Thanked you in another post and called you Jason. Those two JPs we have now.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yes my own mod is ongoing.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/105465-tuxedo-mod-tips.html

But if successful, I should be able to put the factory cover back on with the factory gasket.
Essentially, it involves removing 1/16" from the mounting holes to accommodate the new plate.
My machinist used 1/8" aluminum instead of 16 ga steel, so I trimmed down the mounting holes on both the main cover and the stator cover to gain 1/8".

I wanted a clean look, and I plan to mess with ignition timing later, so I didn't want to have to re-goop on a gasket every time I pull the cover.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks for the info I plan on keeping the bike for my son he is 14 and loves to ride with me he has rode many of dirt bikes so I think the 750 will be a good starter bike for him I plan on bumping up to a 1600

1 - 20 of 130 Posts