Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys . I have a 96 750 . It was around 12000 miles on it. The other day I was riding and I heard a knocking noise and then it died . I was able to fire it back up and it would run for about a minute then shots back down. The knock sounds like it is in the top end . Can anyone point me in the right direction? Btw I pulled the engine and took the valve covers off to see if anything look out of place but nothing does. Tia

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Welcome. Did it run ok before or is this a bike you just acquired? Are you a mechanic? There are a lot of thing that could be wrong that would not be obvious if you didn't know what you are looking for. Usually a knocking noise is cause by a failed crankshaft or con rod bearings. But neither one of those would likely cause the engine to die. It would just keep running until something broke. It could be cam chain noise. The Vulcan 750 has had defective cam chain tensioners from the very beginning, Kawasaki never fixed the problem. Also, since the engine died, check to see if it may have been running on one cylinder. This has also been a common problem with the Vulcan 750 when first started. I don't know if anyone has ever figured out what causes it. The Vulcan 750 is a quirky machine. But that seems to be part of the reason some people like them so much. Next time you start it, rev it up a bit if it will. If it is firing on one cylinder, the extra vibration may make the other cylinder kick in. I believe it is caused by a carburetor issue. It is almost always the rear cylinder that won't fire to begin with. This issue is more common with bikes that have been sitting for a while. Try it with and without the choke.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the bike last year. And it my first bike . She ran like a beast . I'm not no mechanic by any means but I have worked on alot of cars in my life. I've rebuilt engines and what not. But I never worked on a bike .when I bought the bike the owner said it has been sitting but he would fire it up from time to time . I rode it from pa to va and back in the end of April. Then it sat for about 2 weeks ( rain and work schedule) but this happend on the first day of riding it after the two weeks. I have the engine pulled and I dont want to tear the whole thing down if I dont have to.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
If you have the engine pulled you're already there...

Everyone needs to do the tw200 petcock replacement. That fixes most of the issues here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts