Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proud to say I recently purchased my first motorcycle - a 1992 Kawasaki Vulcan 750. Went for my first long ride today and I am amazed by the near 'cult' following this bike has. Happy to be on the forum!

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Proud to say I recently purchased my first motorcycle - a 1992 Kawasaki Vulcan 750. Went for my first long ride today and I am amazed by the near 'cult' following this bike has. Happy to be on the forum!
Welcome to the forum. Good people and advice here. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
First, welcome Southern Tenn. ... You must be from a warm location to do a long January ride, I can stand the cool for a short ride, but that's about it...lol... It may get to the lower 60s here today, I might do a short ride just to check out a new battery and stir the oil a bit...
You might want to check around in the forum and see what you may need to do as far as checking out a new to you bike, like doing a spline check & lube etc. ...
Check out the Vulcan Verses in the forums and other things you might be concerned about... Then ask away, there are some very knowledgeable folks on here... Again, welcome...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Welcome and you got the fastest color Blue and Silver!:):)

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Cult following? I thought everyone shaved their ears and played coasters at the airport.

Welcome to the madness!! Enjoy your new-to-you ride and don't be afraid to ask questions, most here are ready and willing to share and have been there before.
The only stupid question is the one not asked.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
welcome and enjoy! this forum is chock full of great people and tons of good info, so read up and ask questions if you need to. These guys are the best! glad to have you aboard.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Congrats and Welcome to the Mayhem.

This forum is filled with a lot of knowledge and willingness to help. Do you have any plans to modify your scoot? or do you plan to keep her stock?

·
Registered
555 Posts
welcome to the forum!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Not "cult like"...... But an actual cult.

Why would any group stay devoted to an outdated, poorly designed, underpowered and "80" styled bike?

Because the bike is endearing and an enigma in the cruiser world. Low powered, but it's lighter weight and gearing make it surprisingly quick compared to other cruisers of even larger displacement. Shaft drive and full instrumentation you'd expect to see on a touring bike, not a V twin cruiser.

Even with it's odd design issues (poor electrical system, hard to get to battery and stator ,e.g.) it still has a following.

Those of us that have moved on to other bikes, still have a soft spot in our hearts for this bike....evidenced by us still sticking around this forum. We can't seem to leave, and still praise the bike even given it's faults....

I call that a cult...;)

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
Welcome. If you haven't taken a basic rider training course, it can teach you a lot about staying safe out on the streets.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Not "cult like"...... But an actual cult.
Why would any group stay devoted to an outdated, poorly designed, underpowered and "80" styled bike?

Because the bike is endearing and an enigma in the cruiser world. Low powered, but it's lighter weight and gearing make it surprisingly quick compared to other cruisers of even larger displacement. Shaft drive and full instrumentation you'd expect to see on a touring bike, not a V twin cruiser.

Even with it's odd design issues (poor electrical system, hard to get to battery and stator ,e.g.) it still has a following.

Those of us that have moved on to other bikes, still have a soft spot in our hearts for this bike....evidenced by us still sticking around this forum. We can't seem to leave, and still praise the bike even given it's faults....

I call that a cult...;)
Welcome to the Vulcan madness ATXvulcan :)

Evidence that motorcycles can appear to inspire cult followings.
An F6 Honda Valkyrie 1500 in this case.
http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2005/11/16/dancingOnTheEdge.html

Applicable quote from above link:
......See, I had told her I was going out to the garage to work on the bike. When she had asked what was wrong with it, I had said, “Nothing, there are just certain things you have to do to prep a motorcycle for a long summer trip.”

Certain things…hmmmm.

Picture a sweat slicked man, clad only in gray cotton shorts, with a bit of grease smeared here and there, holding chrome parts and dancing, singing, and spinning to music around a partially disassembled motorcycle. Totally immersed in the passion of the music at the moment, he probably has his eyes closed and is moving rhythmically. The motorcycle is in the center of the open space in the garage, has several powerful work-lights aimed at it, and has been elevated about a foot in the air on a pedestal.

Cult rituals and bizarre movie scenes leapt instantly to mind, and were as quickly dismissed as completely inadequate to describe this. Truth really is stranger than fiction............
(Just don`t tell knifemaker that I have installed another hyperlink to Daniel Meyer`s motorcycle stories.
I may get shanked!) :doh:

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
First of all, do the spline lube-NOW. It's seriously important. Someone may have recently done it, but I wouldn't take a chance. It can cause some EXPENSIVE damage.

As for the bike, well, yes I guess there is something about this bike that makes some people love it. I bought a new one in '93, put '80,000+ miles on it, and traded it for a new KLR650 in '01. I soon realized I made a mistake, and less than a year later I traded the KLR for another new Vulcan 750, a 2002 model. I now have over '70,000 miles on that one. The main things that attracted me to it was all the features, including some really important ones. It was designed to actually be used as a motorcycle, not a showpiece (though I admit I love it's looks, ears and all) and it has a shaft drive, a CENTERSTAND, full instrumentation (on the bars not the top of the tank), tubeless tires, and though I didn't know it when I bought my first one, the most comfortable stock seat of any of the 40+ motorcycles I've owned. The KLR felt like you were sitting on a 2x4, which you almost were. The Vulcan 750 also has the right (or should I say "perfect")ergonomics for me, the grips, pegs, and seat locations couldn't be any better. It also handles well for a cruiser, and I love the responsive engine and easy shifting transmission. I sold my 2002 a while back, and about a year later wound up buying it back. The guy I sold it too had put less than 500 miles on it. I have put aftermarket pipes on it, only to go back to stock. My one gripe about this bike is that it is way more complicated (mainly the engine) than it needed to be, and has way too many parts, making it difficult to work on. Suzuki's Intruder 800 outruns it with half the engine parts. But it doesn't look as good (to me), has tube type tires and no centerstand (a recipe for disaster) and is not nearly as comfortable. If I had to pick out the one thing I like about this bike more than anything else, it would be rider comfort. I can (and have many times) ridden from sun up to sun down without pain. Never been able to do that on any other bike except a Goldwing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!

Wow, thanks for the invites guy. I look forward to keeping this bike around for a long time. Got it off of Craigslist with 17,000 miles. I am very much a beginner so a safety course would be a great idea.

Jerry: Thanks for the story. I don't know a ton about bikes but it sounds like the Vulcan stacks up really well and has many features.

OlHossCanada, Knifemaker: I guess "cult-like" was a MAJOR understatement ;)

The DEUCE: I'm going to keep it stock for a while. I had to give it a lot of TLC after some guy kept in his garage for awhile.

Everyone else: I'm sure the questions will come soon. I look forward to your help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts