Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, looking at a 1991 vn750 to purchase this sunday. 15,000 miles. de-goated, new coolant, oil/filter, new D-404s, road ready, asking $2,000 obo. my question is, is the 1991 model, one of the years that left the plant without lubed splines? thanks...

-Chris

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Hey Chris,

I can't be sure, but it seems like I remember someone posting something about it being the years 2000-2006. But I would be curious to hear from someone who knows more about it, as I have an '89 and have been wondering if it might have that issue as well.

Surely, someone will "enlighten" us : )

AZ Kev

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
If the installer of the new tires knows anything about motorcycles at all, he will know that all shaft driven bikes should have their rear splines lubed whenever a rear tire is replaced. Ask to see maintenance records for the bike.

If you cannot determine absolutely that the driveshaft splines and coupler were recently lubed with high moly lube like Honda Moly60, lube them now. The splines need to be lubed every 10,000 miles which usually comes close to every rear tire change. It seems many of the 12 year old looking techies in dealer shops don`t know which splines to lube, and if they do, the shop provides the cheapest wheel bearing grease they can buy. They need high moly lube.

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
Pretty much all years have reported the problem. My 1989 was dry. So lube them asap. Offer less than what he's asking and check the date code on the tires.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Yup, the lubing of the splines is a pretty basic & easy job. Oh and as a note I bought my 91 4 years ago with 8600 miles on it for $1800. I think you've got some wiggly room there. Besides, it books for $1790

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. We lubed my dad's '86. the first thing we did! we actually did that before we got it running right. lol! it wasn't hard. The man selling it seems like he has good mechanic skills, i also didnt mention that he changed the rear gear oil. and the tires were put on about 250 mi. ago, though i dont know who did them... If he is like me, i take the wheels off, then bring them in for tires to save a lot of money, they wouldn't get lubed unless he did them. And yeah, He's asking $2,000 obo, i might offer around $1,600, hopeing to agree on $1,800. im haveing trouble uploading a picture...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
One thing to be aware of with molybdenum disulphide (moly) is that with heat and motion it actually works into or conditions the surface of metal one or two molecules deep. These are the exact conditions found in the rear driveshaft to final drive spline coupling. It can actually continue to lubricate effectively even if the splines appear dry. The grease primarily acts as a *carrier* for the moly, and after many years can dry out and look really nasty. As long as the splines are not rusty or worn, the moly has continued to do it`s job, no matter whether you can see lube in there or not.:smiley_th

More info about moly: http://www.beslub.com/moly.htm

Quote from above link
This plating is firmed by thermo-chemical reaction and it is continuously supplied to the friction surfaces of the engine or equipment parts by being suspended in the fluid lubricant. The Moly solid film friction plating is extremely durable-probably the only method of removal is to grind it off. Because Moly is a lubricant, it is possible for two Moly plated parts such as a bearing and a shaft to run for an indefinite period of time without a fluid oil.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, after driving 300 miles round trip to look at this 91, it was worth about 1,200....... so i oofered him 1200. and i walked away... o well. i'll keep lookin' i know my baby is out there somewhere!!! i just gotta be patient.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Sorry to hear about the wasted trip and not being able to get the seller to deal down in price.
Too bad you won`t have the `91, `cause they do have the fastest colors! ;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did love the black, maroon, and gold pinstripe

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
Yeah....i just switched to the '90-'91 tank on my '86 because it has the gas cap vent overflow tube and it was my favorite paint scheme other than my 86 paint scheme. I got my tank off E-Bay for 110.00 to my door.....a perfect condition '90-'91 tank (black/maroon w/gold) just sold on E-Bay two weeks ago for 202.00. They must be pretty desired.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts