Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finished my seat mod today. Was told by P.O. that the backrest was from a Honda 1100. Worked great and is mounted really strong. Pictures at signature link and click on pictures for work description.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Looks great. Nice modification.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Very sharp! :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I'll have to add a"well done" to all the comments.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Looks so awesome. Great job and info for others, like me, who have a 900 seat and are thinking of ways to mount it with a backrest. Between you and Kanuck 69 we can see what it should look like.... hopefully, lol. Thanks so much.:smiley_th

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys for the compliments. Rode the bike about a hundred miles today. Seat felt good and was a little easier on the back when hitting the holes on the back roads. Wife and daughter took turns riding with me.The seat (the way it's mounted) helded up great and they said the backrest was 'awsome' and that the seat was perfect for them. So guess the seat is a keeper.:beerchug:

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
"I love it when a plan comes together"

lol, I was skeptical about the backrest for mine. I really liked the "look" with out it but for almost ALL of my fun riding (non-commute) my wife comes along. She really likes the higher backrest too. She say's it makes her feel more stable on the bike.

Now If I could just get a drivers backrest... ltms.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I couldn't ride without my backrest.....unless the wife wants me to lean back on her:beerchug:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Question: has anyone here ever sent a seat to Spencers Moto Seat Mods down in Florida? Says he can make it a long distance ride seat. Wanting on a quote from now. Holler if you have set on one of his upgrades.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Question: has anyone here ever sent a seat to Spencers Moto Seat Mods down in Florida? Says he can make it a long distance ride seat. Wanting on a quote from now. Holler if you have set on one of his upgrades.
One of my buddies sent his seat from CBr 1000RR and he can now ride a tank out before getting off and stretching after fueling he gets right back on ,before it was about 50 miles max and we had to stop for a "smoke break".he did good on that one,thinking about sending the front part of mine down this winter too let me know what he prices yours at ,if you don't mind.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I remember the CBR seat. Not much more than just a wedgy maker. I will pass along the quote to you. Hadn't got to ride more than 50 mile at a time sense putting the 900 seat on and made that ok but I could tell there was something missing in the comfort area for my butt personally.

·
1,100 Posts
So the 900 seat is less comfortable Chuck?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It sits really good and gives a smoother ride for me personally than my Saddleman's when on the back roads. Saddleman's has a thick fiberglass pan while the 900 has a thin plastic pan,,, plastic flexes with the dumps and has the rubber seat bumpers between the seat and the frame. Saddleman's is definitely a better quality seat. To a lighter man both seats would be perfect. The 900 gives the passenger room I was looking for and is 2 1/2" wider under my wide butt. I'm 320 pound and years ago fell off an old telephone pole that was to rotten to have been climbing. Broke my tail bone and cracked both hips upon landing. Spencer's adds different layers of foams (according to his web site) to make the seat have the personal touch for the riders butt by you sending in photos of you sitting on the bike in riding position. I could get about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs out of the Saddleman's seat before a tired butt but weather here and a severe sinus infection sense putting the 900 seat on has not aloud but about a 1 hr riding time last Sunday evening. By then I could feel the pressure points of the seat but wasn't hurting me in any way. With all that said, the 900 seat is a MAJOR improvement over the stock seat. I couldn't get 30 minutes on the stock seat before being in serious pain.

·
1,100 Posts
that's great info thanks. I feel for you with the lower back and hip problems. musta been awful falling like that. I have some lower back problems too and when I had my 900 seat on temporarily , I thought it didn't seem to have the cushion that the stock slab has and was going to try and re-sell it. But I'm keeping it and might see about putting a gel pad under there. I do often have passengers and ordered a similar backrest when I saw how good yours looks. I don't have the studs on my seat but I think it'll still look nice. I just hope I can do it the justice you and Kanuck did with your bikes. Thanks again for sharing the info and your handiwork. so many folks on here willing to help and not keep improvements / mods to themselves. it's one of the many great things in this group. take care.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love this model of bike and would love to go to rally of a parking lot full of these bikes just to see what all people have come up with and done to these bikes. Any thing I do to my bike has to pass my stress testing before I put it on here. Can't stand the thought of anybody getting hurt. Good luck with it if you mount a backrest the way I did. It's a solid mount and I'll answer any questions you my have about it.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
.......thinking about sending the front part of mine down this winter too let me know what he prices yours at ,if you don't mind.
Here is the email that I received back from Spencers:

"For your Vulcan 900LT unit the usual modifications to the rider area are the creation of an actual seating pocket so that you sit more in the seat rather than on it, softening of the frontal midline to take pressure off of the crotch, along with correcting the too quick of a "turn up" at the rear of the seat to take pressure off of the tailbone and allow the back of the seat to actually give some support. If you add the Supracor suspension included in the LD upgrade it will allow a more form fitting and weight distributing shape, reduced vibration in the seat, and dampening of road shock. These changes help to distribute your weight across the seat rather than concentrating it in the center which allows more contact to help stop the pressure points. The Supracor works for the rider because it is a dynamic material with an instant rebound. It moves with you, working with your weight shifts for proper bike control. If you use a material in the riders section that "takes a set" it locks you in one position and fights against you. This is the main problem with foams as the rider is constantly moving, even while cruising the highway you are making small corrections in your weight distribution. You can find more information about the material HERE.

Pricing would be the standard minimum of $50 for the actual work to the riders section and a $25 material charge for the Supracor suspension material.

All of my work is done within the stock foam form, creating a new internal shape and supporting structure. The exterior appearance and dimensions of the seat are unchanged at rest so the seat cover stitching and studs will all line up correctly. You will absolutely know that major changes have taken place when you ride.

A photo of you on the bike in riding position is helpful and appreciated, but not an absolute necessity. Each seat is set up specifically for the rider so any additional information you think I may need regarding your position, type of riding, any medical concerns you may have should be listed in the special instructions area on the order form. When you think you have given me too much information, just a little more should be about right.

Please feel free to ship at your convenience, all that I ask is that you drop me note when you do so that I can properly set my schedule. My current turnaround is no more than 48 hours so your only real downtime will be in shipping. If you visit my web site you can find the Order Form as well as my FAQ page which contains more information regarding shipping, payment, and a bunch (probably too much) general information. Contact me any time if you have questions.

Thanks again and ride safe, Spencer"

I'm going to send my seat to him. Birthday is next week and the wife said if thats what I want........:beerchug: I'm going for the Supracor suspension seat.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, took a blind leap of faith late Friday. Seat is on the way to Spencers Moto Care for the Supracor suspension upgrade. Cost as much to ship both ways as it is costing for the upgrade.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Well, took a blind leap of faith late Friday. Seat is on the way to Spencers Moto Care for the Supracor suspension upgrade. Cost as much to ship both ways as it is costing for the upgrade.
I can't wait to hear how this turns out. I am hoping to use his service once my 750 gets on her feet again.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts