Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here own a 900 Kaw? I need some info to help a friend out.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I replied to the PM but thought I'd add the infor here as well.

"The Vulcan has a rising rate linkage on the rear shock, meaning the leverage changes as the shock absorber compresses. The more it compresses, the stiffer the suspension gets.

Now for all you owners wondering where to set the preload adjustment, I am going to throw this unconventional idea out there: the softest setting is #7, the one that raises the back of the bike highest. This is not the only bike I have had with this type of suspension and they all seem to work the same way – softest ride is on the maximum preload. This heretical idea goes against the common wisdom which says the softest ride is at the lowest preload setting.

Which, by the way is bull, even for a simple rear suspension that has no links or levers. Feel free to ignore the advice of all the well meaning Vulcan owners who suggest lowering the suspension for a softer ride. Setting it at 7 may not work for you if you have short legs, or if you have smooth roads and want the low customized look, but for me it's a set it and forget it deal.

There is no situation where I need to adjust it down. Admittedly, the suspension is still a bit stiff, but that is the because of the original shock, which feels even stiffer at lowered settings. There is an additional benefit of more ground clearance, which this bike lacks in some situations."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts