Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just Finished Putting My 90 Vulcan 750 Back Together--had To Replace Some Of The Transmission Gears And Some Other Things--now That I Finally Have This Bike Back Together And Running, It Runs Great.however It Cuts Out In Fifth Gear. Runs Great In All Other Gears And Speeds. Any Help Would Be Appreciated--

·
Registered
3 Posts
Coldride,
You say that it "cuts out", would you describe it more as a "Jerk"? Does it get worse when loaded more such as when you accelerate or climb a hill? I had a 1994 Vulcan that had a this problem. I was not able to solve the problem and ended up selling the bike. No mechanic I talked to seemed to have any idea why. With you saying that you changed some gears I am thinking it is most likely linkage adjustment or a bent shift fork. The shift forks must be 90 deg. to the shaft; or so I am told by the VN750 manual. I always wanted to tear the engine down to chack this, but everyone I talked to said that I did not want to do this as it is a very difficult project.
I hope you will keep us informed.

·
Registered
226 Posts
fuel delivery problem, bad petcock, or loss of vacuum from constant acceleration causing fuel to shut off. also check fuel cap vent hole.
these are my thoughts.

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
What exactly cuts out? The engine? or is the clutch slipping? If eninge only at certain RPMs? and only in fifth?

COLDRIDE said:
I Just Finished Putting My 90 Vulcan 750 Back Together--had To Replace Some Of The Transmission Gears And Some Other Things--now That I Finally Have This Bike Back Together And Running, It Runs Great.however It Cuts Out In Fifth Gear. Runs Great In All Other Gears And Speeds. Any Help Would Be Appreciated--

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the engine cutting out, worse at higher rpm's(only in fifth), i've noticed the front cylinder has started popping at idle, and when letting off of the throttle, maybe related?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a thought... If you had the carbs off and cleaned them, then you might check and make sure you got the diaphragm back in the grooves around the edge correctly. I had my carbs off and when we put them back together, the bike tended to jump and have a flat spot while accelerating. It was the vacuum (or lack of) that was causing the problem... Don't know if this will help, but when I got that diaphragm back in the groove correctly, it was like a dream come true... the bike started accelerating smoothly through all the gears again... You might want to check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts