Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 89 VN750 w/ 18K miles on it and she runs like a champ. I need to get the forks redone and am waiting on a ignition harness.

I am not sure what oil has been used in it in the past. I have read that I need to use 10-40, but what is best, Non Synthetic, semi or full synthetic? HOw often shoul the change be?

Thanks Eddie

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
As long as it's 10W-40 (15W-50 in desert heat) you'll be fine. Asking which type or brand is best is like asking a bunch of guys which girl is most attractive; everyone has an opinion, but you must decide.

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
Your oil should be changed every 3000 miles with normal use. There is alot of debate on which oil is "best"... I Like Shell Rottella , some like Castrol...I don't think you need to buy expensive oil if you are changing it often. Change the oil filter with every oil change too...

Just do not by any oil that has the "energy saving" seal on it. 10w40, 15w40 ...all good.

Do you have an owners manual?

KM

·
Registered
273 Posts
Energy conserving oil has friction modifiers in it, you don't want that because the clutch is bathing in engine oil.

As to non synthetic, synthetic blend, or full synthetic, take your pick.:beerchug:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your oil should be changed every 3000 miles with normal use. There is alot of debate on which oil is "best"... I Like Shell Rottella , some like Castrol...I don't think you need to buy expensive oil if you are changing it often. Change the oil filter with every oil change too...

Just do not by any oil that has the "energy saving" seal on it. 10w40, 15w40 ...all good.

Do you have an owners manual?

KM
No don't have an owners manual but need one or a maint manual. I ordered 2 oil filters but 2 screen filters about 3 inches long came instead, need to figure out where they go.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
They go in the lower front left side of the engine. It is also an oil drain. Do not over tighten the plug when replaceing it. Only takes one screen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts