Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just bought my first bike about a month ago, a 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 750. I haven't had any problems with it until the other day. I was riding along and noticed that I had no tach, temp gauge, fuel gauge, or neutral indicator light. I have turn signals and it starts fine. When I stopped, I discovered that I also had no headlight, no tail/brake light, or horn (hadn't noticed that before because the turn signals work). The alternator is charging fine and I haven't found any broken wires yet. I have the Kawasaki maintenance manual with wiring diagrams and I'm an aircraft mechanic, so I do understand them. Any information or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

- Mike

·
Registered
468 Posts
remove the left side cover and check the fuses. that would be a good start. cheapest anyway. check all ground wires and clean with a small wire brush. clean the connections using contact spray then put electrical grease on all conections. any other questions feel free to ask. good luck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
468 Posts
one of these is perfect for the harness connections. should be able to pick up at lowes in the welding supplies. or most auto parts stores.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks emtdon. Fuses are good, everything worked before I rode. I was on lunch, rode home, unlocked the door for my wife, started back up, and was halfway back to work when the gauges went out. There wasn't anything intermittent, just all of a sudden. I started chasing wires a little...I don't have power to the headlight and tail light fuses. There is power to the acc fuse and the main fuse.

On a different note, I see you have a mustang seat on your Vulcan. Was that a single seat from the factory, or did it have a two-up seat? I have the two-up seat, but would like to install a single seat...can't seem to find anything aftermarket. Any ideas where to look, or do you think I'll have to do something custom?

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Almost a long shot but check the wiring to, and the ignition switch. If my memory is correct, the switching for the lights goes through the key switch and it isn't uncommon to have issues there that make most scratch their head.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
under the left hand tank cover are two electrical connections... one is red and the other I don't remember the color... check them both... they can come unplugged very easily... However, I suspect its more than likely a bad Junction/Fuse box.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Almost a long shot but check the wiring to, and the ignition switch. If my memory is correct, the switching for the lights goes through the key switch and it isn't uncommon to have issues there that make most scratch their head.
He is correct. Take it apart, the puck under the key. Careful with the springs and ball bearing in there. I'd lay bets on it. Explains why your bike still runs and why those particular items arent working. Mybe giggle your key around first to test.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts