Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in Thailand with this bike, fantastic when its running but my Oh my does it give me a headache when it doesn't start.
I've had the bike nearly 2 years and have never really solved this problem.
I'm no mechanic myself, so please be gentle wiv me if u can help.
Simply put, if I put a newly charged battery on it will start, however after a few Kms cruising average speed (100KPH) then it will not start again and it appears as if there is no life left in the battery, i.e. sluggish turnover.,,,,dadadadaddaaaaaaaa dadadadadadaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

There are no qualified Kwacker mechanics here and no dealerships and I can't get the owners manual off the net and delivered to Thailand.

I can answer any queries here 24/7 i fu can help me>

Thanks in advance

OeJ:smiley_th

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sounds like a stator failure to me. The battery isnt charging, its running constant loss. Connect a volt meter to the battery while the bike is running, you should get at least 14 volts showing on the volt meter.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Also, are you sure the newly charged battery is a good battery? Might just need to have that replaced.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Sounds like mine exactly. Put in a maintenance free battery, like a YUASA YTX14AHL-BS. It's hard to believe, but it'll suddenly work fine. I thought mine was the starter solenoid, then the starter. The starter would hit "dead spots" - which sounds like what you are trying to describe. I could get it started in the morning, but I needed to park near a hill when it was warm. And it would start right up when I used a hill to start it. As if the problem was my imagination...

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
It's either a stator or a regulator failure. Hopefully it is the regulator as that is easer to get to...

But first, check your grounds. A loose ground wire to the frame could also cause this condition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK nice to have ur help and advice.
Before I do anything can someone point me to where i can get pictures/diagrams of the regulator and stator etc, so that i can show my mechanic what maybe wrong?
Btw I've been thro 3 batteries and had the starter remade.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
When you say three batteries, is the one you have in there now a maintenance free battery, like the WestCo or Yuasa? (see Vulcan Verses) If it isn't, then you are wasting your time and your money. Please let us know so we can help with your dilemma.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
OneeyedJohn said:
get pictures/diagrams of the regulator
It should be behind the battery box.

Here's a pic of cegodsey regulator AFTER it was relocated.

OneeyedJohn said:
and stator
In this pic of Ccspinner's highway bars, the stator is behind the cover just above the kickstand.

I'm sure there's better pics somewhere, but this is what I found at this site.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
hyperbuzzin said:
It should be behind the battery box.
Here's a pic of cegodsey regulator AFTER it was relocated.
Here is a picture of a rectifier that I relocated last night. This is off John Hayden's bike.

My relo bracket bolts directly to the rear left passenger footpeg. I powder coat these to hide them. Usually black, but I can do any color if I can get the powder.

More pictures can be found at http://www.bulldogsbike.com/relorr.htm

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Looks good Bulldog, mines next.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
And man, do they get hot! I can't imagine the heat at the source, and even moving at hurried pace doesn't cool the fins down much. No wonder they burn out!

·
hummer5955
12 Posts
I have the same problem with my o5 vulcan. Runs great and starts great then the battery appears to die, after a one hour ride. I barely starts if at all. After a short charge the bike starts again. I've tested on volt meter , charges up to 14 but dosent hold up. Im on my second Westco gel and am stumped as to what to do next.

·
hummer5955
12 Posts
Hope someone can help solve my battery problems. I'm on my second Westco gel battery. Seems the battery will charge during riding and on a volt meter 14, but has diffculty restarting the bike when the bike is hot. After several cranks the battery will quickly be drained. When I put on tender for a short time and charge until green, the bike will again start eaisly. This is my second Westco gel battery since April. Westco sent a second one replacing the first stating that it probably was a bad battery, but since the same problem continues with this battery I'm wondering if something else is wrong. Could I have received two poor batteries? A locale bike mechanic said he prefers Interstate batteries only. As far a hot weather in Green Bay, its only been in the 70s. Any suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hummer, it's a good bet you need to relocate your Regulator/Rectifier. With it above the premuffler chamber (goats bladder) it gets hot when running and keeping the battery charged. When hot it is less efficient at conducting electricity. This in turn causes hard starting and backfiring when the bike is warm/hot. You can look through the verses and find some good ideas and info on relocating your r/r.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Seems like i need to relocate my r/r also and get a MF battery since I am having t he same problems. After a good slow charge battery is at 13.5v turn on power and drops to 12.5v, hit the starter and drops to 10.5 and fires right up with the choke about half way at 1000 rpm meter is reading 13.5 and at 3000rpm meter is just under 14.5. When hot hard to start and drains battery in no time. Just happy to have found this forum

·
Registered
58 Posts
mmmmm

Hi guys, from my point of view , that bike (the 750vn's) has a too small wiring, combined with a starter wich not well protected from the humidity and corrosion issue (bad contacts)
For Mine with a standard battery, with a personal rebuild of the starter (new brushes, cleaning, and milling the rotor contacts to make them really cylindric), and a replacement with biggest wires from the battery to the starter, the starter relay and from the battery to the ground also, cleaning and greasing (pink) all connection! pfffff...

Now it's like a charm, just look at the starter button and wake up ! even when it's hot, even when I refill the gastank !
so,
Check first the voltage of the batt, of the stator output and so on, see there:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3631

good luck

·
Tony Bove
7 Posts
Ground Wire?

Where does the ground connect to the frame. I'm having a similiar issue, but I don't know how to check it. Thanks, T.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Under the tank, on the back middle of the engine. Remove the side covers and you should be able to see it. Large black wire.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
That's the engine ground and it's conveniently hidden behind the antifreeze overflow bottle! :) There's also the ground from the negative terminal of the battery that goes to a ground point on the left side of the frame under your seat. There is one more, on the right side of the frame under the right side cover, above the starter solenoid. All three need to be clean and tight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts